I love you in Spanish, how do you say I love you in Spanish

How do you say I love you in Spanish?

I love you: Te amo

I love you: Te quiero

While in English, “I love you” and “I like you” are the main phrases used to express feelings of love and affection, in Spanish there are many words and phrases that express the subtle differences in our emotions.

Te quiero and te amo: which one should you use?

• Te quiero, whose literal translation is “I want you,” is the most common of the two phrases. You use it with anyone from your parents to your friends, lovers, and significant others.
  • Te amo, on the other hand, is a much stronger and intense phrase. It is reserved for your “media naranja” (your other half), your lover, husband/wife, love-of-your life type person. Its literal translation is “I love you.”

Other phrases that express love and affection include:

• Te adoro: “I adore you,” this is similar to “te amo” in that it is intense and reserved for someone you have romantic feelings for.
  • Me gustas: “I like you,” this is for when you are crushing on someone.
  • Te extraño: “I miss you”
  • Estar enamorado: “to be in love”
  • TQM: the initials for “te quiero mucho,” which as we have seen above is a way of saying you care for someone, whether a friend or family member or more. This abbreviation is used often among friends and lovers, especially when texting or chatting online.
  • Besos y abrazos: another way of ending a message when chatting with friends. You can also use just “besos” or just “abrazos” when ending a conversation.