A hispanic friend of mine calls me chiquita, besides small, what else could it mean? I mean, I know that I am small, but is that it?

This word can be used in a varity of contexts. If a man who is interested in you uses Chiquita, it means an endearment. If he is much older than you, it's still an endearment, but then a father-daughter thing - just as your own father would call you.

In a relationship, it means Baby. In this context, it can be endearing or condecending, depending on the mood of the speaker.

He called you a banana!?! How rude! Jajajaja tongue wink

No, not really, it kind of lightly (almost sweetly) tossed around term, meaning little girl. He probably feels comfortable with you and has given you a nickname. grin

• lol I think it is almost like saying my baby/my little girl :) - FELIZ77 Jan 31, 2012 flag
  • Mmm... it depends. He's not her parent so I don't think that would be an accurate translation due to context. - DJ_Huero Jan 31, 2012 flag
  • This term (atleast in the Mexican and Southern US culture) is tossed around alot from elders to younger people, and occasionally from friend to friend if one is older than the other. Similar to the term "mijo -a". - DJ_Huero Jan 31, 2012 flag

Spanish is my first language and Chiquita is a lovely term. Usually the men is taller than the women and chiquita means that the girl is someon to protect. at least I see that way.

He could be referring to your cute and small

"chiquita"

Can be the diminutive of "chica" - in English it could "little one" which is what I call my daughter sometimes.

It's an affectionate term. He cares for you. Not necessarily as wanting to date you or anything like that. Just that he enjoys your friendship. It's like he wants to take care of you, as angelbuenami said. smile

This is a term of endearment as others have rightly said literally meaning:'' little girl'' but one which shows the person using the expression cares about the girl/young lady and is feeling protective towards her. I think it is like saying: ''You are my little girl.'' but in an affectionate way and not meant in any patronising/condescending way!

I also think it can be used either simply in an affectionate way like father to daughter for example between a much older man and a young lady or more romantically.

You yourself hopefully know from the quality of your friendship/relationship with him, his tone of voice and/or the context of the message, which he means wink smile grin

On an additional point this made me wonder whether the Abba song Chiquitita is just using the dimunuitive form of the word above you are asking about; Chiquita = ''baby'' as Julian said (a term of enderament) I suppose, alternatively, it could simply be someone's name in the song.

Here is a link to the original Abba song Chiquitita performed in Spanish on Utube: link text I thought you might like to listen to it in Spanish wink smile grin

Funny I should come across this question. The nickname I gave my wife 7 years ago is "Chiquita." She's had that nickname ever since I met her. It's mainly because of her height (4'11") but also because she's overall small and cute.

I wouldn't take it as an insult. Even if you are particularly sensitive about your size, I'm sure it was meant as a term of endearment. Either that or he thinks you look like a banana. LoL

That's the only confirmed meaning of it that I have ever heard, yes.

Here's another thread with a similar question:

http://www.spanishdict.com/answers/103786/does-chiquita-have-a-greaterdifferent-connotation-besides-little-or-small

Who knows what's going on in the minds of men? rolleyes

Context is everything .

Imagine yourself in a bar, walking down the street, whatever, and some guy you don't know looks you up and down and says "Hola chiquita", with a flirtatious tone of voice, he's coming on to you.

And of course, everything everybody else already said.

This song can explain it all.

Chiquitita

image

• liitle correction for you, Cruce: remove the "to" so it reads "This song can explain it all." Video is blocked in the United States. - Sassette Jul 28, 2015 flag
  • Thank you so much my friend! :) - Crucesignatu Jul 28, 2015 flag

Refer to post from Crucesignatus

enter image description here

Beautiful lyrics that are below. Reminds me a bit of what I'm going through in my life. I guess I'm a Chiquitita smile

Clearly, Chiquitita is used as a term of endearment.

If YouTube video does not work, you can hear it on Spotify.

ABBA LYRICS "Chiquitita"

Chiquitita, tell me what's wrong You're enchained by your own sorrow In your eyes there is no hope for tomorrow How I hate to see you like this There is no way you can deny it I can see that you're oh so sad, so quiet

Chiquitita, tell me the truth I'm a shoulder you can cry on Your best friend, I'm the one you must rely on You were always sure of yourself Now I see you've broken a feather I hope we can patch it up together

Chiquitita, you and I know How the heartaches come and they go and the scars they're leaving You'll be dancing once again and the pain will end You will have no time for grieving Chiquitita, you and I cry But the sun is still in the sky and shining above you Let me hear you sing once more like you did before Sing a new song, Chiquitita Try once more like you did before Sing a new song, Chiquitita

So the walls came tumbling down And your love's a blown out candle All is gone and it seems too hard to handle Chiquitita, tell me the truth There is no way you can deny it I see that you're oh so sad, so quiet

Chiquitita, you and I know How the heartaches come and they go and the scars they're leaving You'll be dancing once again and the pain will end You will have no time for grieving Chiquitita, you and I cry But the sun is still in the sky and shining above you Let me hear you sing once more like you did before Sing a new song, Chiquitita Try once more like you did before Sing a new song, Chiquitita Try once more like you did before Sing a new song, Chiquitita

A Girl i am talking to that is a bit older than me just called me Chiquito, she is from Ecuador i Am PuertoRican we have interest in each other i Am taller than she is is that a term of endearment towards me? what does it mean for me it means Small or tiny what else it means

i think it mean he likes you or he just means cutie