"Ir" and "Irse" in Spanish
All about Ir
- Ir is an irregular, intransitive verb that is used to refer to a destination.
- Ir often makes use of prepositions such as a, hacia, and hasta.
- Ir can also be used to indicate a mode of transportation where there is an unspoken or implied destination.
- Ir is used with a to form the periphrastic future. This future form uses the formula ir + a + verb in the infinitive.
All about Irse
- Irse is a pronominal verb that uses reflexive pronouns and tends to focus on the act of leaving a starting point or origin. The origin is presumed to be here (or wherever the subject is at the time).
- Irse often makes use of prepositions such as deand desde.
Ir would be incorrect in the above sentences because no destination is mentioned.
Master This Topic
Take a practice quiz on "Ir" and "Irse" in Spanish
Start Quiz Now