Last Updated: December 1, 2020
Thank you for using SpanishDict! Our mission is to bring high quality reference and education products to every Spanish-English learner in the world. To do that, we show you personalized services and ads that we think will be relevant based on the information we collect from you and third parties.
When we mention "SpanishDict", "inglés.com", "we", "us", "our", or "Curiosity Media", we are referring to the company that owns and operates SpanishDict and inglés.com, Curiosity Media, Inc.
If you have any comments regarding this policy, please let us know by contacting us here.
Table of Contents
- How We Collect Information
- How We Use the Information
- How We Share Information
- Choices You Have About Information
- Links to Third Party Sites
- Public Information
- Data Retention and Account Termination
- International Data Transfer
- California Explicit Notice
- Do Not Track Signals
- Sensitive Personal Data
- Contact Us
How We Collect Information
In order to offer the SpanishDict Services, we rely on the ability to collect, store, and analyze basic information about how people interact with our website and other products. We also engage in agreements with third party partners who help us to provide our services, analyze our data, and deliver a customized and high-quality user experience. As such, we and our third party partners may collect and store personal information about you when you use SpanishDict Services. This information can come from information you provide to us, technical information that is shared with us, and third party information that is shared with us, each of which we describe below.
Information You Provide to Us
When you use the SpanishDict Services, you may provide information to us voluntarily. This information includes:
- Account Information: If you create an account, we may store and use your name, username, email address, birthday, gender, and other information you may provide with your account. You can modify some of the information associated with your account here. If you link your Facebook or Google account to the SpanishDict Services, we also may get information from those accounts, such as your email and contacts. The information we get depends on your settings and their privacy policies. If you use the SpanishDict Services on your mobile device, including through our Application, we may collect your phone number and the unique device id number. If you tell us where you are (e.g., by allowing your mobile device to send us your location), we may store and use that information to provide you with location-based advertising. If you want to deactivate this feature, you can either reinstall the Application or deactivate GPS on your mobile device.
- Content: The content that you contribute to SpanishDict Services is intended for public consumption, including your vocabulary lists, forum posts, comments, and other content contributions.
- Preferences: Our Website lets you store preferences like how your content is displayed, your location, safe search settings, etc. We may associate these choices with your ID, browser or mobile device, and you can edit these preferences at any time.
- Billing: When you order a subscription on our Application, we will collect all information necessary to complete the transaction, including your name, credit card information, and billing information.
- Communications: When you sign up for an account or use certain features, you are opting to receive messages from us and other users. You can manage some of your messaging preferences here, but note that you cannot opt out of receiving certain administrative, transactional, or legal messages from us. We may also track your actions in response to the messages you receive from the SpanishDict Services, such as whether you deleted, opened, or forwarded such messages. If you exchange messages with others through SpanishDict Services, we may store them in order to process and deliver them, allow you to manage them, and we may review and disclose them in connection with investigations related to the operation and use of SpanishDict Services. We may also store information that you provide through communications to us, including from phone calls, letters, emails, and other electronic messages.
- Surveys: We may collect and store personal information if you choose to participate in voluntary internet or telephone based surveys that help us learn more about our users. These survey results are generally not shared externally, but if they are, the results must be in an aggregate or anonymized form.
- Other: We may also collect other forms of personally identifiable information, such as at other points on our Website or Application that state personally identifiable information is being collected.
Information You Provide to Social Networking Sites
Technical Information that we Collect
When you use the SpanishDict Services, we collect certain technical information automatically. This information includes:
- Log data: When you use the SpanishDict Services, our servers record information ("Log data"). This may include your IP address, searches, browser type and settings, the data and time of your request, how you used SpanishDict, Cookie data, and Device data.
- Device data: In addition to log data, we collect information about the device on which you’re using the SpanishDict Services, including the type of device, operating system, settings, unique device identifiers and crash data that helps us understand when something breaks. Whether we collect some or all of this information often depends on what type of device you’re using and its settings. For example, different types of information are available depending on whether you’re using a Mac or a PC, or an iPhone or Android phone. To learn more about what information your device makes available to us, please also check the policies of your device manufacturer or software provider.
|Essential||Intended to make the SpanishDict Services work in the way you expect. For example, we use a Cookie that tells us whether you have already signed up for an account.|
|Preferences||Intended to remember information about how you prefer the SpanishDict Services to behave and look. For example, we use a Cookie that tells us whether you have muted audio in our some of our quizzes.|
|Notifications||Intended to allow or prevent notices of information or options that we think could improve your use of the SpanishDict Services. For example, we use a Cookie that stops us from showing you a certain signup notification if you have already seen it.|
|Social Media||Intended to allow you to use social media websites while using the SpanishDict Services. For example, when you sign up for an account using a social media site, the site will use a Cookie to indicate that you have signed in to our site.|
|Analytics||Intended to help us understand how visitors use the SpanishDict Services. For example, we use a Cookie that tells us how our search suggestions correlate to your interactions with the search page.|
Third Party Information We Collect
We may also obtain information about you and your activity outside SpanishDict from our affiliates, advertisers, partners and other third parties we work with, or other publicly available sources. For example, online advertisers or third parties may share information with us to measure or improve the performance of ads on the SpanishDict Services, or to figure out what kinds of ads to show you. This includes information about your visits to an advertiser's site or purchases you made from them, or information about your interests from a third party service, which we might use to help show you ads.
How We Use the Information
We use the information we collect to provide the SpanishDict Services to you. Specifically, we use the information to:
- Provide the SpanishDict Services you request, including, for example, processing your requests to sign up for the service, storing your vocabulary lists, and keeping track of your audio preferences on quizzes.
- Better Understand our Users, including, for example, conducting research on user preferences, usage patterns, pain points, and interests so that we can improve the Services.
- Protect the Rights of SpanishDict and others, including, for example, using personal information as we believe is necessary or appropriate to protect, enforce, or defend the legal rights, privacy, safety, or property of the Services, its employees or agents, or other users and to comply with applicable law.
- Deliver Targeted Advertising, including, for example, using personal information to deliver targeted ads, promotions, and offers to you, on behalf of ourselves and advertisers, on and off the SpanishDict Services.
- Recommend Relevant Content, including, for example, suggesting related words and vocabulary lists that may match your interests.
- Provide Customer Support, including, for example, storing your email so that we can respond to messages that we receive and troubleshoot issues that arise on the site.
- Contact You, including, for example, to send the Word of the Day email and other information about the SpanishDict Services, including in connection with your accounts, online surveys, legal notices, new features that you are entitled to access, and other important information. You may opt out of receiving commercial email messages from us by following the instructions contained in those email messages.
For these reasons, we have a legitimate interest in using your information in these ways, as it is fundamental to the nature of the SpanishDict Services we provide.
How We Share Information
As part of providing SpanishDict Services to you, we may share information with third parties, which can include:
- Other Users: We may share information that you provide use that is meant to be public, such as vocabulary lists and forum posts, with other users of the site.
- Advertisers: We may partner with third party advertisers to provide a customized ad experience on the site that is relevant to your individual interests. In order to identify and deliver personalized advertising, we may share certain information with these partners. Likewise, our third party advertising partners may rely on information collected using Cookies on your browser to deliver relevant ad content when you visit the site
- Service Providers: We may rely on third party providers to support or provide some of the services that are available through the SpanishDict Services, such as translations. We may also rely on third party providers to perform certain services for us in connection with your use of the SpanishDict Services, such as communications and hosting services, network security, technical and customer support, tracking and reporting functions, quality assurance testing, payment processing, our own marketing of the SpanishDict Services, and other functions. We may share information from or about you with these third party providers so that they can perform their services or complete your requests. These third party providers may share information with us that they obtain from or about you in connection with providing their services or completing your requests. Third party providers may also share this information with their subsidiaries, joint ventures, or other companies under common control. Some of our web pages utilize framing techniques to serve content to you from our third party providers, while preserving the look and feel of SpanishDict Services. In such cases, please note that the information you provide is being provided to the third party.
- Business Partners: We may share information with other third party companies and individuals that we work with to process information on our behalf. For example, we may share data with security consultants to help us better identify spam. Some information we acquire may be collected by third parties on our behalf.
- Other Disclosures: We may investigate and disclose information from or about you if we have a good faith belief that such investigation or disclosure (a) is reasonably necessary to comply with legal process and law enforcement instructions and orders, such as a search warrant, subpoena, statute, judicial proceeding, or other legal process served on us; (b) is helpful to prevent, investigate, or identify possible wrongdoing in connection with SpanishDict Services; or (c) protects our rights, reputation, property, or that of our users, affiliates, or the public, such as disclosures in connection with our Consumer Alerts program.
Choices You Have About Information
You may access and update your profile information for your SpanishDict account here. If you would like to update, correct, modify or delete other personal information you have provided to us, please let us know by contacting us using the information provided in the Contact Us section below. We will comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to have your SNS account linked to your SpanishDict account, you may de-link the SNS account in your SpanishDict account settings. You may also manage the sharing of certain personal information with us when you connect with us through an SNS. Please refer to the privacy settings of the SNS to determine how you may adjust our permissions and manage the interactivity between the Services and your SNS account or mobile device.
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for record keeping purposes or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting such a change or deletion. We will retain your Personal Data for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Policy unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
You can stop all collection of information by our Application by uninstalling the Application. You may use the standard uninstall processes as may be available as part of your mobile device or via the mobile application marketplace or network.
You also have choices available to you through the device or software you use to access the SpanishDict Services. For example:
- The browser you use lets you control Cookies or other types of local data storage
- Your mobile device lets you choose how and whether your location, advertising identifiers and other data is shared with us.
To learn more about these choices, please see the information provided by your device or software provider.
Links to Third Party Sites
You may elect to submit public information to us, including your user name, profile photo, vocabulary lists, forum posts, and other information. By choosing to use these features of SpanishDict Services, you understand and agree that anyone may access, use, and disclose any information that you submit.
Data Retention and Account Termination
If you have purchased a subscription of SpanishDict Premium via our website, you must cancel your Premium subscription prior to closing your account. This enables us to ensure that you are not improperly charged for subscription services after your final subscription period has elapsed. This applies only to web subscriptions of a Premium product, and excludes in-app purchases not directly tied to your SpanishDict user account.
We will retain your information for at least as long as your account is active, as needed to provide you services or as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements. As a matter of course, we will delete personally identifiable information associated with accounts that have been inactive for at least 15 years.
We may use other companies to serve third-party advertisements when you use SpanishDict Services. These companies may collect and use click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over during your visits to SpanishDict and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use Log data, Cookie data, and device data to collect this information. Other companies' use of their tracking technologies is subject to their own privacy policies, not this one.
Third parties may be able to associate the information they collect with other information they have about you from other sources. We do not necessarily have access to or control over the Cookies they use, but you may be able to opt out of some of their practices by visiting the following links: Network Advertising Initiative, Omniture, and Digital Advertising Alliance.
Please note that opting out does not prevent the display of all advertisements to you. Additionally, we may share non-personally identifiable information from or about you with third parties, such as demographic data, advertising identifiers, or a cryptographic hash of a common account identifier (such as an email address), to facilitate the display of targeted advertising. You may be able to limit our sharing of some of this information through your mobile device settings, as described in the section on managing Cookies above.
We utilize a first-party cookie that facilitates the use of targeted advertising by our third-party advertising partners. To opt yourself out of this cookie, please click here.
To opt-out of the sharing of your personal information with LiveRamp, please click here.
Children under 13 are not allowed to use SpanishDict Services. SpanishDict is intended for general audiences and is not directed to children under 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you become aware that a child has provided us with personal information without parental consent, please contact us here. If you are based in the European Economic Area, you may only use SpanishDict Services if you are over the age at which you can provide consent to data processing under the laws of your country.
SpanishDict offers email and push notifications to provide its services. For example, we offer a daily Word of the Day email or notification. If you no longer when to receive these communications, you may opt-out by click the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of the email, or turning off the SpanishDict notification privileges on your mobile operating system.
We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. However, no method of transmission over the Internet or via mobile device, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
International Data Transfer
Users residing in the EEA also have certain rights related to the collection, storage, use, and retention of your personal information. For example, you may choose to restrict our ability to collect, process, and share your personal data, and you may choose to withdraw consent to the collection, processing, and sharing of your personal data. You may also request access, correction, editing, or erasure of your personal data. If you wish to contact us pursuant to these rights, whether to request access, correction, editing, or deletion of your personal information, to opt out of the use of non-essential data processing, or to withdraw consent previously provided related to your user data, please contact us or click here. To submit a complaint to a data protection authority regarding our use of your personal information, please contact your local data protection authority directly.
California Explicit Notice
As a California user, you have the additional right to opt out of the sale of your personal information to our third-party advertising partners. Opt-out selections are tracked at the device level; therefore, if you access SpanishDict Services from multiple devices and wish to exercise your right of opt-out, you must complete the process separately from each relevant device. Please note that opting-out of the sale of your personal data under California law does not mean that you will no longer receive ads when you visit SpanishDict Services, including some interest-based ads. Furthermore, should you choose to opt out, you may continue to receive targeted advertisements based upon personal information that either predated your opt-out selection by more than 90 days or was collected from external sources from which you have not opted out.To opt out of the sale of your personal information on this device, please click here. In accordance with California law, we will honor this selection for a period of twelve months or until you clear your cookies on this device, after which point you may renew your opt-out preferences by repeating the normal opt-out process.
Finally, please be advised that we do not disclose your personal information to third parties for the purpose of directly marketing their services to you unless you first agree to such disclosure. If you have any questions regarding our policies, or would like to change your privacy preferences, you may contact us here or send an email to email@example.com.
Do Not Track Signals
Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” signals to the websites with which the user communicates. There currently is no consensus among industry participants as to what "Do Not Track" means in this context. Therefore, like many websites and online services, we do not alter their practices when we receive a "Do Not Track" signal from a visitor's browser. To find out more about "Do Not Track," please visit http://www.allaboutdnt.com.
Sensitive Personal Data