1

What is the best way to translate English proper names to Spanish'

2

What is the best way to translate English proper names to Spanish?

Sometimes the best way is not to.

http://www.spanish-translation-help.com/spanish-names.html

http://www.translationdirectory.com/article102.htm

• Jul 8, 2009
2

In my opinion one should not translate proper nouns - but some are already translated. For example London = Londres.
My name is Ian Francis Hill and I have got used to that - but in Spanish it would be Juan Francisco Colina and I quite like the sound of that and of course Don Juan. So sometimes it can be fun to translate proper nouns.

• Jul 8, 2009
1

My vote is to leave the name as it is. My high school Spanish teacher insisted on changing my good Greek-origin name (Rhoda) to Rosita and I HATED it. I would think unless it is something utterly unpronounceable by Spanish speakers you should just leave the name alone.

• Jul 18, 2009
1

Seriouslly ?

You DO NOT translate or find equivalents for surnames - ever. Infact it would be illegal in most countries to do this without going through what ever legal process is required - you would be effectively changing your identity!

As for first names you may wish to find equivalent names if you like - however in todays world where both English and Spanish are quite well spread, you may which to leave it alone.

If your name is Jorge and you wish to be called George in english - do so, but you could just as easily continue to use Jorge as long as you explain to everyone how to pronounce "Horrr - Hhhhe"

• Sep 12, 2011
1

Have a look here smile Behind the name a site that translates names from one language to another for you.

• Dec 14, 2011
  • That's fun, Kiwi! Puedes llamarme Lucía! :-) - MLucie Dec 14, 2011
0

If a name with the same origin exists in Spanish, you can find it in any name database (e.g. Peter = Pedro), but otherwise you can't.

• Jul 8, 2009
0

Juan is also equal to John.

And I know a country singer named Jorge Moreno which is a very natural name in English too as George Brown

But like Lazarus said if it has the same general European origin it can translate or has a Spanish equivalent. But my name being Irish like most Americans, which comes from a Gaelic origin would most likely not translate. All depends on origin.

Also most people don't bother translating their names from language to language, as many people move to a new country they keep their original name whether it would translate or not. If my name was Peter White i couldn't imagine moving somewhere and being called Pedro Blanco

• Jul 8, 2009
0

Mine, Gregory Hahn, would directly translate to Gregorio Gallo en español.

I can't decide if that's a cool name or a goofy one. It doesn't make the list of common Spanish surnames http://www.spanish-translation-help.com/spanish-surnames.html But if you google it, there was a bishop of Orihuela with that name, apparently a famous guy.

I can't decide if I want to adopt it here or not.

• Jul 11, 2009
0

Yean, I saw you playing with it eariler, and I didn't think it was fitting for you. But then, I don't know you personally, so what do I know'

• Jul 11, 2009
0

Not all English names have a Spanish equivelent, mine (Eric) dosen't

There are two I have memorized

Robert = Roberto
Jasmine = Jázmin

• Jul 18, 2009
  • Isn't Eric translated as Enrique in Spanish? - lydianish1 Feb 5, 2012
0

There are two I have memorized

Robert = Roberto

Jasmine = Jazmín

• Jul 18, 2009
0

emma

• Mar 3, 2010
0

darren

• Mar 3, 2010
0

James

• Jul 6, 2011
0

Well,.... My good friend Carlos Blanco would be Charles white, but in the Spanish speaking world it would sound silly. Names are best left alone, But on occasion we make compromises, Since my name is Frank and another good friend is Francisco, I became Paco, and that's how it has been ever since.

• Jul 6, 2011