Gustar | SpanishDict Answers

Is giving me a bit of trouble.

My language course is telling me that I like is mi gusta and I liked is mi gusto

But the spanish verb site is telling me that I like is yo gusto and I liked is he gustado.

Can someone please help.

• You have to remember that when you translate literally, "me gusta" means "pleases me." So "me gusta la comida" literally means "The food pleases me." - benweck Nov 26, 2010 flag

The language course is (almost certainly) telling you "me gusta" and "me gustó" (note: "me" not "mi").
If the Spanish site is telling you "I like" = "yo gusto" and "I like" = "he gustado" then you should stop using that Spanish verb site (because it is providing you with misinformation).

For further discussions of this topic, try searching for "gustar" as a topic at the top of the "Forum" page. This is a frequently recurring topic.

Well, wait a minute. This site's conjugation also does that. That is the correct congugation. However, it is not the correct way to say I like or I liked. So the conjugation is not wrong, but your construction of the phrase "I like" and "liked" is wrong.

The word "gustar" means "to please". In Spanish they construct the phrases you are referring to by saying "something pleases me" (equivalent to "I like") or "something pleased me" (equivalent to "I liked").

So the way you say "I like" is "me gusta", which literally translates to "it/he/she(implied) pleases me".
The way you say "I liked" is "me ha gustado", which literally translates to "it/he/she has pleased me".

So, as you can see, the construction of this in Spanish is different than in English, which can be very confusing at first.

The congugation of gustar, in first person singular, "gusto" means "I please" and is the correct congugation. The problem here is that you would never just say "Yo gusto" because the phrase always requires an indirect object stating who was pleased. So the correct construction would be "Yo les gusto" (I please them) or in English - They like me. Or "Yo le gusto" (I please him/her). etc.

Also, keep in mind that there are several different tenses to state past tense, like 'me gustó" (it pleased me), but that is a whole subject in itself.

http://users.ipfw.edu/JEHLE/COURSES/verbs/GUSTAR.HTM

Perdue University is saying Yo gusto and he gustado

RogerHH said:

http://users.ipfw.edu/JEHLE/COURSES/verbs/GUSTAR.HTM Perdue University is saying Yo gusto and he gustado

Shame on them/it!.

Say, Mark, You did a great job explaning the use of the verb ,gusta.
There is nothing wrong with the chart Perdue University posted on line; the only thing is that it (the chart) does not hold one by the hand and guide us to the mine field that Spanish can be for us learning how to think in Spanish.

I can speak Spanish well but writing it is a different thing. eg. I knew the answer to Roger's problem but I was unable to explain it in a way that made sense, so I refrained myself from putting in my two cents. Although, I confes my inability to refrain from congratulating you.

RogerHH said:

You're misunderstood something: you can say "he gustado" perfectly, but it doesn't mean "I like" or "I have liked", but "someone has liked me". The conjugation and the rest of the examples given there are all perfect.

P.S. I didn't read Mark's answer.

Mark W said:

Well, wait a minute. This site's conjugation also does that. That is the correct congugation. However, it is not the correct way to say I like or I liked. So the conjugation is not wrong, but your construction of the phrase "I like" and "liked" is wrong.The word "gustar" means "to please". In Spanish they construct the phrases you are referring to by saying "something pleases me" (equivalent to "I like") or "something pleased me" (equivalent to "I liked").So the way you say "I like" is "me gusta", which literally translates to "it/he/she(implied) pleases me".The way you say "I liked" is "me ha gustado", which literally translates to "it/he/she has pleased me".So, as you can see, the construction of this in Spanish is different than in English, which can be very confusing at first.The congugation of gustar, in first person singular, "gusto" means "I please" and is the correct congugation. The problem here is that you would never just say "Yo gusto" because the phrase always requires an indirect object stating who was pleased. So the correct construction would be "Yo les gusto" (I please them) or in English - They like me. Or "Yo le gusto" (I please him/her). etc.Also, keep in mind that there are several different tenses to state past tense, like 'me gustó" (it pleased me), but that is a whole subject in itself.

How tricky is this !!!!

I think I understand me gusta = I like - i.e. I liked the cake.

and that Yo Gusto = I please, i.e. I please my Mum.

The CD tells me that I liked, as in I liked the cake, would be me gusto - you are telling me that it should be me ha gustado - . Lazurus tells us that me ha gustado means , someone liked me.

Help.

It's not easy is it '

Lazarus didn't quite say that. It is a bit tricky.

Lazarus said the meaning of "he gustado" not "me ha gustado". There is a big difference.

You have to think of it in terms of "pleasing someone".

Now, what you're still confusing is the difference between "gusto" 1st person singular present tense and "gustó" 2nd person singular preterit. The first is "I please" and the second is "it/he/she pleased". So literally the "cake pleased me" - "me gustó la torta" - "I liked the cake".

P.S. Thanks Gus

Oops. I meant 3rd person singular preterit - not 2nd person.

Roger, "me gustó" and "me ha gustado" are both correct, but different forms of the past tense.

¡me gusta la conversación sobre gustar!