Typing Spanish | SpanishDict Answers
× THIS POST IS CLOSED.

For those who ask how to type the ÿ, the accents and other Spanish symbols like ¿ or ¡, here is the most efficient method in Windows XP (although in Vista is similar):

Go to Control Panel

Click on Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options.

Then click on Regional and Language Options

Select the Languages tab.

Click on Details.

Click on Add, choose Spanish, and then select any variant.

The International Sort is configured like this:

The one used in Mexico like this:

[Additional commenting is closed on this post]

We will open a direct link on the forum page for this. As ususal, Lazarus has done a wonderful job and has been of great help.
Also special thanks to everybody for participating and giving more ideas..

hold Ctrl and type 164 ,release Ctrl then it will show the "ñ

Jhonny Urrego said:

And what about á é í ó ú Á ÿ Í ÿ ÿ ÿ ¿ ¡ ü ü ª? Do you memorize them all? The keyboard is much faster and convenient.

It works _much_ better if you hold down the ALT key (while typing the digits).

As Lazarus implies, if you only have to do a single letter (a couple of times a year, perhaps') the ALT+decimal equivalent of the ASCII code may be fine but for frequent use, installing the appropriate keyboard is much easier.

Another alternative is to install one of the virtual keyboard programs in the language of your choice on your desktop. That way you have a picture of the keyboard that you can see and don't have to remember which key does what. The major drawback there is that you have to select the virtual letters with your mouse which prohibits speed typing. You would type all the "normal" letters with your physical keyboard and the unavailable characters from your virtual keyboard. Another advantage is that since you don't need all the "normal" alphabet keys on your virtual keyboard you can assign other characters or macros to those keys.(requires programming experience with most virtual keyboard programms). If you're going to do the timed exercises in the vocabuary or learning sections of this forum you should go with the program that reassigns keys on your physical keyboard (mexican, spanish traditional, US international, etc.). Then print out a picture of the keyboard until you learn which symbol is assigned to which key.

Why isn't there some sort of "FAQ" that provides a detailed discussion of the options and a how-to? There are certainly several threads addressing this same question (though, all the ones that I remember lack the screen captures that Lazarus has so kindly provide in this thread). The same might be said for such oft-asked questions as "ser/estar", "por/para", etc.

For some reason I can't delete the message above. I thought the picture in the file was cropped and useless, but it was just the embedded picture that was cropped. The attached picture file is ok.
I'm attaching it to this reply.

Samdie,
There actually are references for para/por and ser/estar in the reference section. I really like the idea of adding topics such as keystrokes for accented letters. I wonder what other topic would be helpful along this same vein...
- Paralee

samdie said:

>

samdie said:

There used to be an explanation like this in announcements... but I think it disappeared when they re-did the website. I'm thrilled to see this explanation typed up (especially so clearly), because it is a question that seems to keep coming up. I agree that it needs to be put somewhere where it won't get lost smile.

Heidita said:

We will open a direct link on the forum page for this. As ususal, Lazarus has done a wonderful job and has been of great help. Also special thanks to everybody for participating and giving more ideas..

Thanks a lot to Lazarus for such a clear explanation, if I had had it at the time I would have done that, but instead I downloaded a little program called allchars. This gives access to a whole bunch of symbols -as well as Spanish é ü and punctuation etc. « » ? other accents are available eg â æ ç ¼ ÷ etc. and may be useful for all round linguists. If you google Allchars for Windows you will find it.

It works by using the ctrl button to modify letters so 3 keystrokes are involved eg for é you press ctrl ' e

Jhonny Urrego said:

Hi Jhonny
I think it is the "alt" button you hold down and then type 164.

Paralee Whitmire said:

Samdie,There actually are references for para/por and ser/estar in the reference section. I really like the idea of adding topics such as keystrokes for accented letters. I wonder what other topic would be helpful along this same vein...- Paralee

samdie said:

I would recommend the reference section to anybody.....and Paralee is right too, the section could be improved by including an 'IT Section'.

There really is no need to download software.....your computer already has it.!!

Open MS Word then select from the top toolbar 'Insert'
then select 'Symbols'....hey presto......Basic Latin, Extended Latin etc etc.

To customise your keyboard just highlight the desired character and then click on 'shortcut key' at the bottom of the page- change it to something convenient and EASY. There's really no need to memorise 'Alt 164' like people have mentioned - lets make it easy.

Personally, in Lazarus' second image above, I prefer to choose "US - International Keyboard" and show the language bar on the desktop so I can toggle back and forth between standard & Spanish keybaords.

Natasha said:

Hi Natasha
I am using the US keyboard right now but it keeps spelling theater and color incorrectly. Just changed to the English keyboard, lets try now, theatre, colour, that's a lot better. (wink)

THIS POST IS CLOSED.
It may not be voted on, answered, or commented on. It may only be edited by moderators.