What does the "le" or "la" mean at the end of a verb? | SpanishDict Answers

I was wondering why sometimes you see "le" or "la" at the end of a verb. For example, why is it "Quién podrá abrirle la puerta"? Another example is "Nosotros no pudimos ir a buscarla. I understand the reflexive verbs and why you say "me levanto" and "se acuesta", but is there a difference between putting it at the end from putting it at the front?

Can you tell him that I will be late?

¿Puedes decirle que voy a llegar tarde?

--

¿Quién podrá abrirle la puerta?

Who will be able to open the door to her?

--

Nosotros no pudimos ir a buscarla.

We couldn't go to look for her.

So as you see it can be either direct object or indirect object of the sentence.

• Thanks a lot for the help! I understand it now. - dangerouship Apr 10, 2011 flag
  • Would it be more appropriate to say "Who will be able to open the door FOR her?" - Felixlynx Apr 10, 2011 flag

Object and reflexive pronouns can be attached to verb infinitives, the gerundio, or commands. For infinitives and the gerundio the placement is optional, for the commands the placement is regulated.

¡Bienvenida al foro!

Welcome to the forum!