More negative tú commands | SpanishDict Answers

I very well may be an idiot, but I looked in the RAE and it only seems to have the positive command conjugations....could someone please tell me the negative "tú" imperative for the verbs "dar" and "seguir".

And would it be "no comiences" for comencar?

Thank you.

• dar: tú command da: negative: no des, for seguir the negative tú command is no sigas....My book says that the negative tú commands are the same as the usted forms, but with an -s added. Usted command hable: negative tú command: no hables. - sanlee Dec 1, 2010 flag

Echonile, the "tú" negative commands are formed with the present subjunctive, which you'll find in the RAE page.

"No comiences" is the negative command for "comenzar". The ending "-ces" has an S sound (or Z in the north of Spain), so the infinitive must have the same sound. If you write "comencar", that "-car" will sound like "kar; that's why you need "-zar" -to keep the same sound value.

• Thank you so much, Lazarus. I had no idea (obviously) that it is the same as the present subjunctive. - Echoline Dec 1, 2010 flag
  • Lazarus, do you mean that you take the present subjunctive and add an "s"? - Echoline Dec 1, 2010 flag
  • 2nd person singular of present subjunctive (don't add an 's', it's already there) - samdie Dec 1, 2010 flag

Hi Cathy, Marianne gave me a chart that has the Ud, Uds, and the Tú commands in negative and positive. Maybe it will help you. Here is the link. link text

With the ezception of irregular verbs, all you have to do is conjugate it to the tú form. Irregulars include: ir- no vayas dar- no di ser- no seas ....

Make sure you do not forgret to put a "no" before the command! wink

• "Di" is the past preterite for "dar". As far as commands go, "di" is used for "decir" as a positive command in the 'tu' form. The negative command for "dar" in 'tu' form would be "no des". - malcriada Dec 1, 2010 flag
  • The correct spelling is "excepción", and the negative imperative of "dar" is "no des". - lazarus1907 Dec 1, 2010 flag