I want to know if in Brazil people speak Spanish ?

• Welcome to the forum. Please use proper capitalization when posting questions. - JoyceM Oct 10, 2010 flag
  • I think thay they speak portuguese. - johniram Dec 14, 2010 flag
  • I know a lot of people in Brazil who speak fluent Japanese... ;-) - Gekkosan Dec 14, 2010 flag
  • Brazil is the place where there are the most Japanese outside Japan - HolaComoEsta Dec 14, 2010 flag
  • Some regions in Brazil speak Spanish though Portuguese is the national and official language since Pourtugal rule. Such regions can be found in Southeast or North (States of Rio Grande do Sul, Amazonas). Portuñol is the combination of 2 languages - HolaComoEsta Dec 14, 2010 flag

Welcome to SpanishDict. Some folks here are learning Spanish, and others English, so please post your questions with proper grammar, spelling and punctuation.

This is the kind of research that is very easy to do for yourself. I'll give you a clue: people in Brazil speak Spanish if they have learned to speak Spanish.

Here is another clue: the capital of Brazil is Rio de Janeiro (river of January). And January in Spanish is "enero".

• Oooh - good clue!! Me gusta mucho!! - 001a2987 Oct 10, 2010 flag
  • sorry, but you are wrong. The capital of Brasil is Brasilia - mediterrunio Dec 14, 2010 flag
  • It was once Rio... - pesta Dec 14, 2010 flag
  • Brazilia is a city in Distrito Federal. It was a part of the State of Goias - HolaComoEsta Dec 14, 2010 flag

in Brasil (with S ) people speak portuguese because it was colonised by Portugal. And another fact is that the capital of a Brasil in not Rio de Janeiro it is Brasilia

From a Brasilian

You can find the information that you are looking for here: World Factbook

From what I understand, Brazil (Brasil in Portuguese and Spanish) has a huge demand for Spanish teachers, so I guess it must be either very popular, or desirable.

However, I haven't had problems either understanding or getting understood by Brazilian people, provided that we all keep the speed, the pronunciation and the slang under control.

• It might not be such a walk in the park in Portugal. - Pibosan Dec 15, 2010 flag

I have a couple of friends living in Brazil and they speak Spanish. They also speak English and they are learning Portughese.

Actually in brazil you speak your native tongue and learn new languages.