I'm trying to do my spanish homework and i can't remember what ustedes means. My worksheet is on the verb ir. the question says: Adonde van ustedes a las dos y media?

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Hello, and welcome to the forum. Ustedes means 'you all'. It is the second personal plural formal pronoun.

Ustedes is the plural form of Usted. And Usted is the formal version of tú. So essentially it is the formal, plural you.

• And in L.Amer. also the informal, you all. - 0074b507 Sep 20, 2010 flag

ustedes is plural for usted (you formal ). Your sentence translates to : whare did you all go at 2.30 pm?

• THANKS!!! For some reason it wasn't in my notes so no i'm definitly writing it down! - tessibugg Sep 20, 2010 flag
  • Close. Wrong verb tense. - KevinB Sep 20, 2010 flag
  • And wrong spelling in English. - KevinB Sep 20, 2010 flag
  • wait so what's the right verb tense? - tessibugg Sep 20, 2010 flag
  • We're not supposed to do people's homework here. That's cheating. So this whole thread is a bit disappointing. It violates forum rules. But I'll say "van" comes from "ir". Punch it into the dictionary here and check the conjugation. It's right there. - KevinB Sep 20, 2010 flag

Here´s a bit more information which might be of interest:-

• The forms tú and vosotros/as (familiar forms) are used to address members of the family, friends, children and animals
  • the forms usted and ustedes (polite forms are used to address all other people, usually written as Vd and Vds., or Ud./Uds., they must always be used with the third person of the verb.
  • Usted is a contraction of the archaic form of address Vuestra Merced, 'your honour'.
  • Although the familiar form is becoming increasingly common in Spain, it is still advisable to use the polite form when addressing strangers or people that you have just met.
  • Except for usted and ustedes (which are nearly always expressed) all other subject pronouns are omitted unless emphasis is required or ambiguity avoided.