Can you conjugate two verbs in one sentance? | SpanishDict Answers

If you have a sentance with two verbs, do you conjugate both of them or just the first one? for example: i left the fifth of may and returned the 19 of may. Salí el cinco de mayo y volver el 19 de mayo. would you conjugate the volver?

• Yes, "Volver" must be conjugated here - JulianChivi Sep 19, 2010 flag
  • "Salí el cinco de mayo y volví el 19" are TWO sentences joined by "y", not one. - lazarus1907 Sep 19, 2010 flag

Hi iks, welcome , this really depends on what you are talking about.

I want you to go. Here we only conjugate one verb.

I eat and talk. Here we conjugate both.

• Actually, both verbs in your first sentence "I want you to go" are conjugated. The first in the present tense "Quiero" and the second in the subjunctive "vayas" The sentence would be translated "Quiero que tu vayas." - HappyNTx Jan 3, 2012 flag

You won't find a useful answer to your question, because a sentence can have thousands of conjugated verbs if you insist in writing the longest sentence ever (whether people will understand it, that's another story,) and there are many different structures that allow a sentence to have multiple verbs, all with different rules. Don't forget that any subordinate clause can easily have a conjugated verb on its own.

My guess is that you are referring to phrases where you have two verbs together or joined by prepositions and conjunctions. In most cases, the first one is conjugated with tense and mood, whereas the second one is a non-finite form, but there are exceptions even to this.

Certainly! Theoretically you could conjugate all kinds of verbs in a single sentence, but to keep it simple here's a very basic example:

Tengo hambre pero no quiero ir a una restaurante.

'Tener' and 'querer' are both conjugated in this case.

Sentences can have multiple tenses too and that means more than one conjugation. For example: Ayer fuimos al cine y mañana vamos a ir de compras.

Here the same verb 'ir' is conjugated twice because it is used in two different tenses. Hope that helps!

Yes. I would conjugate volver as well- it should be in the preterite tense too!

The answer to your question will depend on what you are trying to say.

For example you could say I would like to buy a hat

= Quisiera comprar un sombrero

In this example the first verb, 'Querer' is conjugated to the imperfect subjucntive which is used as a courtesy to make polite requests (where the desire/request is conditional upon the other person granting it.)

Where two verbs follow each other the second is generally in the infinitive: so comprar remains in the infinitive form

However, in another sentence you might want to say:

"Tocaba el piano cuándo entró mi hermana en la sala y comenzó a hablar a mi padre pero no escuchó a ella"

= I was playing the piano when my sister entered the living room and began to speak to my father but he wasn't listening to her."

I am not aware of any rule in Spanish that limits the number of verbs you can conjugate in a given sentence but the sentence construction would have to make sense and should be grammatically correct .

I hope this helps you grin

u con jugate them both if u have to. Take for example the following question:

Yo Jacinta y en Venezuela con mi familia..

u put soy in the first slot and estoy in the second...

• You don't need personal pronoun 'yo' here - FELIZ77 Sep 19, 2010 flag