Culture in Pictures: Chile | SpanishDict Answers

This series, started by renaerulesis designed to share the history and culture of Spanish-speaking countries through picture. With help I hope to cover them all over the next few months. Participation is highly encouraged and each person should include a description of the photo they provide. Also, since this thread is not an excersise I think it would be suitable to post in either Spanish or English and let the readers feel free to make corrections in the comment section. There is a lot of information available so hopefully in the end, with everyones help, we will have large pictorial to look back on.

This long strip of a country covering nearly half of South America's western coast is officially known as República de Chile. It was first occupied by the Incas and Mapuche before Spanish colonization in the sixteenth century.The Inca nation migrated down from the North to take over the Mapuche civilization but failed in their attempt. The next would be the Spanish who after more than 100 years of intermittent fighting finally came to terms with the indigenous people. It was first in 1520 that a European, Ferdinand Magellan, discovered the straits of Magellan at the Southern point of South America and in 1535, seeking gold, the Spanish conquistadors started their intrusions into the country. By 1541 Santiago became the first city to be founded in Chile. Due to its geographical constraints the colonization of Chile was a difficult one. The gold and silver they sought was never found but it was realized that the fertile land was of great importance. Later years brought on territorial disputes with Peru and Bolivia and today Chile is considered one of the most prosperous countries in South America. But this is supposed to be a pictorial on culture so I'll start with the indigenous people pictured below- they are the Mapuche. alt text alt text

Much of the actual culture of Chile is a mixture of its early inhabitants and the extensive immigration of other European people such as this German inspired architecture. alt text

Chilean rodeo ranks # 2 in most popular sports

y claro numero uno.

• Yesero, sadly I don't know all that much about Chile but I have heard it is a paradise for "walkers" so I will definitely follow this "Chilean" thread ... - nonombre Jun 27, 2010 flag
  • Chile is in both South America and Oceania, similar to a North American country, the US - Fidalguinho- Jun 27, 2010 flag
  • Good point Fidalgo, Annie can start her walkabout there. - Yeser007 Jun 28, 2010 flag

Moai in Easter Island (Rapa Nui), Chilean territory in Oceania.

• Thanks Fidalgo, I left Easter Island just for you. - Yeser007 Jun 28, 2010 flag
  • I've been there, those Moai are amazing! - Kiwi-Girl Jun 28, 2010 flag
  • I would love to visit there. - Yeser007 Jun 28, 2010 flag

Huasos are Chilean countrymen and skilled horsemen, similar to the American cowboy. They ride horses and typically wear a straw hat called a chupalla. They also wear a poncho —called a manta or a chamanto (although this is generally reserved to land owners, as it is much more expensive)— over a short Andalusian waist jacket, as well as tooled leather legging over booties with raw hide leather spur holders that sustain a beautiful long shanked spur with 4" rowels, and many other typical garments. Huasos are an important part of Chilean folkloric culture and are a vital part of parades, fiestas, and holidays.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huaso

alt textalt textalt text

• What is the Chilean source of income principally? - ray76 Jun 28, 2010 flag
  • Their chief export is minerals, mostly copper - Yeser007 Jun 28, 2010 flag

Spanish is no longer spoken in the Philippines but it was the official language of the filipinos during the spanish period.

It all started when Ferdinand Magellan, a Portuguese explorer, arrived in the Philippines on March 16, 1521 and claimed the islands for Spain.

The very 1st mass in the Philippines was held in Cebu City

But the spanish colonization begun when Spanish explorer Miguel López de Legazpi and his troops arrived from Mexico in 1565 and formed the first European settlements in Cebu City. There, he befriended Datu Sikatuna and the natives of Cebu. Miguel López de Legazpi and Datu Sikatuna made a blood compact as a sign of friendship between the two people.

Statue of Miguel López de Legazpi with Datu Sikatuna (in Tagbilaran, Bohol) marks the location where the Blood compact alliance took place.

University of Sto. Tomas - is one of the oldest existing universities in the Philippines. It was founded on April 28, 1611 by Miguel de Benavides y Añoza, a Spanish clergyman and sinologist and the third Archbishop of Manila.

San Agustin Church in Intramurus, Manila - Built by the Spaniards in 1570, this church is a significant monument to the Spanish colonization of the Philippines, being the first religious structure built in the island of Luzon.

Some old Spanish Houses in the Philippines:

• Oh, not now. I think we will have another thread about the Philippines and other former Spanish colonies in the Pacific Ocean :-) - Fidalguinho- Jun 28, 2010 flag
  • Thank you estudiante for your input. As Fidalgo mentioned this is a pictorial on Chile which is one in a series of Spanish speaking contries that we are covering one by one. You put a lot of work into this so I'll leave the photos up, they are very nice. - Yeser007 Jun 28, 2010 flag
  • Sorry! - 009ee30f Jun 29, 2010 flag

For context, I always like to see where a country is located. Location in the world and proximity to surrounding countries and regions usually has a great effect on any culture. smile

Addition. Chile also claims its territory in Antarctica but the claim has been suspended by the Antarctic Treaty.

• My addition: Chilean Antarctica - Fidalguinho- Jun 28, 2010 flag
  • Gracias Fidalgo. Es muy interesante. :) - Nicole-B Jun 28, 2010 flag
  • Thank you Nichole. I do know how you lke to see maps and I should have been more "on the ball" with that. - Yeser007 Jun 28, 2010 flag
  • Gracias Fidalgo, and glad to see you have the World the right way up for a change, most people have it upside down. - ray76 Jun 29, 2010 flag

Cueca, the national dance

The clothing worn during the cueca dance is very traditional Chilean clothes. The Men in the dance wear cowboy hats, shirts, flannel panhco, riding pants and boots, short jacket, riding boots, and spurs. Women wore flowered dresses with an apron. (spotlightonchile.com) The dance of the cueca is done with a sense of the rooster and the chicken. The man approaches the woman and offers his arm, then the women accompanies him and they walk around the room. They then face each other and hold their hankerchief in the air, and being to dance. They never touch, but still maintain contact through facial expressions and movements. (spotlightonchile.com)

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cueca

alt text alt text

• My referrence man, you always come through! gracias. - Yeser007 Jun 28, 2010 flag

Viña del Mar: Known locally as the ‘garden city’, its numerous beaches attracts several tourists. It is also famous for its annual International Song Festival. Visitors can stroll through the several parks as well. The ‘Reloj de Flores’ (clock made of flowers) is interesting as well.

!Vaya Chile!

• Bam Bam Zamorano!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) - chileno Jan 24, 2012 flag

For our walking friends. alt text

• Valle de la luna - San Pedro - Yeser007 Jun 28, 2010 flag
  • If you are a mountain goat OK , but it looks a bit rough , but thanks yesero I love these posts. - ray76 Jun 28, 2010 flag
  • Baaaa - Yeser007 Jun 28, 2010 flag

I have been to several Santiagos in the world. The beautiful Santiago de Chile is next on my list. wink

• Beautiful! - Yeser007 Jun 28, 2010 flag
  • this is such a beautiful city with a very scenic backdrop! - vaminir Jun 29, 2010 flag

La playa: Viña del Mar

Para mí, este es muy interesante, porque mi sobrino es allá por tres semanas! En el foto bajo, es el puerto de San Antonio.

• Si hice una falta, por favor corregid mi espanol! - amykay Jun 28, 2010 flag
  • Tu sobrino es muy afortunado. Gracias por el foto. - Yeser007 Jun 28, 2010 flag
  • Estoy acuerdo, estoy celoso de el! - amykay Jun 28, 2010 flag

Un otro foto: a lot of llamas and alpacas at Lauca National Park, with Parinacota Volcano in the background.

Muchos llamas y alpacas a el parque de Nacional de Lauca, con el volcán de Parinacota detrás.

Winter in Patagonia. alt text

• Oh my God!! Hey, it's kinda like Philly isn't it! :) - Yeser007 Jun 28, 2010 flag
  • this picture looks like something you will see on a postcard! - vaminir Jun 29, 2010 flag

Pukará de Quitor, an archaeological site of Atacameños people, in Antofagasta Region

alt textalt textalt textalt textalt text

• He looks like a one eyed soccer supporter. - ray76 Jun 29, 2010 flag

Tulor, another pre-Columbian site of Atacameños people, in Antofagasta Region

alt textalt textalt textalt text

• Great pickies thanks so much Fidalgo. - ray76 Jun 29, 2010 flag