6

The tortilla chip, Doritos, is Spanish. Is Doritos just a brand or does it actually translate from Spanish into English? If so, what is the translation meaning?

• Cool question. - webdunce Dec 31, 2009

4

http://www.spanishdict.com/translate/dorar

The dictionary says that dorar is 'to brown', so doritos probably refers to the crispness and gold color of the chips. (I know they are actually orange but still)

• Dec 31, 2009
  • dorito wouldn't be derived from an -ar verb, right? It would be dorado as in 'El Dorado' - bdclark0423 Dec 31, 2009
  • okay, well,... I'll buy webdunce's logic, that dorito could be a dimunitive form of dorado - bdclark0423 Dec 31, 2009
  • I'm not sure, but I think it's possible to derive it from the verb (perhaps not very common, though). In fact, dorado is the past participle of dorar. - webdunce Dec 31, 2009
4

Hmm...this is a guess but Dorado means golden...so possibly Doritos means "little golden things." Frequently you will not find the dimunitive form in the dictionary.

• Dec 31, 2009
  • this was my first thought :( - sunshinzmomm Dec 31, 2009
  • Well, to be honest, I didn't think of anything; I typed "dor" into the dictionary...and then clicked on dorado, a diminutive form of its definition seemed plausible. So, I kinda cheated :) - webdunce Dec 31, 2009
2

íHola! Like everyon else who has answered, the answer also eludes me. However, if you are interested in learning some history about the "Doritos" tortilla chips go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doritos

• Dec 31, 2009
  • the link you procvided does give the answer!! 'Frito-Lay vice president Joe Ennen' [gave them] 'The name "Doritos" [and] means "little bits of gold" in Spanish.' - bdclark0423 Dec 31, 2009
  • Well, waddaya know. Unravelled and myself were kinda close. - webdunce Dec 31, 2009
  • together you both were spot on! - bdclark0423 Dec 31, 2009
0

Good question. I've often wondered about that, too.

I couldn't find doritos in the dictionary at the top of this screen. So, I'm guessing that it's a made-up brand name. (Probably by computer?)

Welcome to the Forum!

• Dec 31, 2009
0

You're all correct!

"Quisiera tocino, pero bien dorado." "I would like bacon, but good and crispy." (Not burned)

"La cúpula de este edificio está dorada." "The dome of this building is golden (or gold plated").

And the Doritos thing is also correct.

!Les deseo un prospero año nuevo a todos!

0

The Frito-Lay vice president said that "Doritos" means "little bits of gold" in Spanish, but that is not quite right. The diminutive of "dorado" (golden) is "doradito" and the diminutive of "oro" (gold) is "orito". In the first case Dorito is missing "ad" and in the second case it is missing the D. I guess the name was inspired by those words but the word "dorito" doesn't mean anything in Spanish.

• Jan 28, 2012
0

The responses you have gotten are most likely correct. With my limited Spanish I think " Doritos " translates to " Delicious " in any language.

• Jan 28, 2012
0

So where is the corn in the corn chip ?

Nacho Cheese Doritos ingredients (US), in order of percent of product: whole corn, vegetable oil (corn, soybean, and/or sunflower oil), salt, cheddar cheese (milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes), maltodextrin, wheat flour, whey, monosodium glutamate, buttermilk solids, romano cheese (part skim cow's milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes), whey protein concentrate, onion powder, partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oil, corn flour, disodium phosphate, lactose, natural and artificial flavor, dextrose, tomato powder, spices, lactic acid, artificial color (including Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Red 40), citric acid, sugar, garlic powder, red and green bell pepper powder, sodium caseinate, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, nonfat milk solids, whey protein isolate, corn syrup solids[33]

• Jan 28, 2012
  • mmm -sounds delicious - patch Jan 29, 2012