Tiempo... Time or weather??? | SpanishDict Answers

Just wondering about the word tiempo- is there a logical reason for it meaning both Time and Weather? It can be pretty confusing sometimes (see, there it is again! The word Pretty with two meanings!) question

The same in English - bear (n) and bear (v), close (adj) and close (v).

• Issabela - you are certainly right about that - it is a bigger problem in English - have a vot - ian-hill Oct 6, 2009 flag
  • Good one. For every complaint I've seen lodged about Spanish, the same can be said about English. So far there are no exceptions to that. - Goyo Oct 6, 2009 flag
  • I suppose I'll just have to bear it! - EJClaire Oct 6, 2009 flag
  • Hi Issabela, I'm trying to learn Spanish, I love your answer here. Thank you!! - Billmar May 10, 2012 flag

theres many words in spanish thats have several meanings to them. and yes tiempo is weather and time

How did you know to use the word pretty in that context? Wasn't even confusing at all was it?

I don´t know why you´re saying this is confusing, because you understand the meaning from the content used, so we have: 1.El tiempo probable y 2. Es tiempo de irme.

Good luck!

This is rather confusing for Spanish students of English:

Tomorrow we are going to have good time.

this is what I often getwink One should think, ok, the "a" (good time) is missing, well no, they mean weatherwink

• That sounds like a statemnet someone from Belarus might say, but I have never heard anyone say it like that. - Seitheach Oct 6, 2009 flag

Getting used to the context is certainly hard. It just takes practice. At first I was extremely confused when I heard the word se, because sometimes it is part of reflexive verbs and sometimes it is a conjugation of the verb saber.

The funny thing is, I can't even tell you when that stopped being a problem. The meaning just gradually became more obvious as I listened to more and more Spanish.

The word that really drives me nuts is mañana. It has two meanings, both time related. I often have to think about that one for a moment before I understand when they mean. However, that's still just a matter of context, so I'm sure that will become clearer too.

• Si, manana manana como el desayuno - EJClaire Oct 6, 2009 flag

Both. Use this word in the context of the conversation/sentence. Context shouldn't be a major difficulty in this situation. I have to be careful when speaking/writing more than understanding (with this word) (vis: 'hora' versus 'tiempo').

Hello dear

My name is queen(single). I was impressed when i saw your profile today at and i will like to establish a long lasting relationship with you. In addition,i will like you to reply me through this my private e-mail box(queensamale46@yahoo.com) Thanks waiting to hear from you soon. queen I will send to you my pictures in my next mail through this my mail box

queensamale46@yahoo.com