¿Cómo está la vaina? | SpanishDict Answers

This is an affectionate greeting in Venezuela

• And it's been used in Venezuela for a very long time. - Madre2 Oct 18, 2009 flag

Well I know that "que Vaina" means "What a mess" or "How f**ked is this" and commonly used as an expression on anger.

And that "Que Vaina es esta?" means "What the hell is going on here?"

And that "La Vaina" is a "mess," or a "problem"

but I have never heard "Como esta la vaina" before.

"viana" is dominican....it's slang (watch out for the slang police). Viana is a general pain en el culo. No one says "como esta la vaina" It's usually "Que vaina" or "me esposa me da vaina" something along those lines. Otra por eso es "cono" which is damn, s@#$, or any other thing that is a pain.

Sometimes we say ¿qué pedo? to say whats up lol that is mexican slang... so if you ever hear it... now you know smile

• I heard you can also say me pongo pedo to mean I get drunk just like me pongo borracho, can you confirm/deny this? - jeezzle Dec 30, 2009 flag
  • yes, "me pongo pedo" is slang for "me pongo borracho o me emborracho" - Mokay Dec 30, 2009 flag

I lived in Venezuela for 3 months and always heard, Como está la vaina? I heard it many times everyday. I thought it meant How's the pussy? because it was always uttered by men, the more macho, the more they said it, and it rubbed on the ears of old folks bad. like acid.

It can also mean "scabbard" (and thus a metaphor of which Freud would approve) but the dictionary includes "pain (muy informal) (problema, molestia) (Colombian Spanish, PerÚ, Venezuelan Spanish)"

Vaina is definitely something many dominicans use. I am from Belize but hang out with many Dominicans. "Vaina" is a word that is used to substitute something that you don't want to say the whole name of. Example: If there is a jacket some place, you can tell a person "pasame esa vaina" instead of "pasame esa chaqueta" ... Como esta la vaina simply means, how is everything.. or how are things?.. many Latin countries use this word...

What about when someone says "Que buena vaina" ? Isn't this a sort of oxymoron?

• no not an oxymoron. Remember, the word "vaina" can mean anything what so ever. - harlemsoldie Jan 13, 2010 flag