Also known as the pluperfect subjunctive (el pluscuamperfecto de subjuntivo), indicates a completed action that "had" happened before another action in the past in all cases the subjunctive would be used. It is also used with the conditional perfect independent clauses to indicate hypothetical situations (what "will have happened) to replace the little used future perfect subjunctive). It is very similar to the past perfect of the indicative in that it is a combination of the past participle and the verb haber, but this time, haber is in the imperfect subjunctive instead of the imperfect indicative.

Past Perfect Subjunctive

To form the past perfect subjunctive, combine the imperfect subjunctive of the verb haber with the past participle. Remember that the imperfect subjunctive can have two different forms (hubiera/hubiese).

Past Perfect Subjunctive Formula

imperfect subjunctive of haber + past participle

• Pablo dudó que yo hubiera/hubiese ido a Perú. (Pablo doubted that I had been to Peru.)
  • Mi madre no creyó que hubieras/hubieses limpiado el cuarto. (My mother did not believe that you had cleaned the room.)
  • Yo dudaba que usted hubiera/hubiese sido profesor. (I doubted that you had been a professor.)
  • El juez no pensó que el testigo hubiera/hubiese mintido. (The judge didn´t think the witness had lied.)
  • Si le hubiera dado el dinero, ella se hubiera/hubiese comprado un vestido nuevo. (If he had given her the money, she would have bought a new dress.)
  • Mi jefe esperaba que hubiéramos/hubiésemos podido terminar el proyecto. (My boss hoped that we had been able to finish the project.)
  • Yo querría que vosotros hubierais/hubieseis incluido. (I would have wanted that you were included.)
  • Fue increíble que ellos hubieran/hubiesen corrido 30 kilómetros. (It was incredible that they had run 30 kilometers.)
  • Mi abuela esperaba que se hubieran/hubiesen casado para ahora. (My grandmother hoped that they had been married by now.)
  • Si yo hubiera ido, ellas hubieran/hubiesen ido también. (If I had gone, they would have gone too.)

Exercises

1) Conjugate each verb in parenthesis to the past perfect subjunctive to complete each sentence.

Example: Mi doctor dudó que yo (correr) cada día. -> hubiera corrido

1. Era imposible que nosotros (poder) terminar los ensayos.
  2. Te agradecí que tú (ayudar) con las preparaciones.
  3. Si yo (ir) a la entrevista, tendría el trabajo.
  4. Fue una lástima que Jorge no (cantar).
  5. Ojalá que ellos (ganar) el campeonato.

Answers

1. hubiéramos/hubiésemos podido
  2. hubieras/hubieses ayudado
  3. hubiera/hubiese ido
  4. hubiera/hubiese cantado
  5. hubieran/hubiesen ganado