family comes first

0
votes

what's the translation for "family comes first" in spanish. anyone knows please msg me! Thank you!

18555 views
updated OCT 2, 2008
posted by Allison

25 Answers

0
votes

Anyway, is there a way to write this phrase "La Familia es lo Primero"? I intend it to be like a heading that kind of thing. Are the right words that suppose to be in capital, capital? Or all the words should be in capital letters?

lazarus1907 said:

Allison said:

Thanks Dunia for replying. But is there any particular meaning for "es lo" ? Cause i check out some site they say the translation is "la familia viene primero". So im a little confused. Help me out please. smile

The article "lo" is used with adjectives to create nouns for which there is no known name, especially if they are abstract. You can translate it in most contexts as "the ..... thing" or "the thing that...":lo mejor = the best (thing)lo extraño = the strange (thing)lo más importante = the most important (thing)lo primero = the first (thing) / the most important (thing)"La familia viene primero" would be interpreted like this: there are several people coming (for dinner, maybe'), but the family is coming before the others, or something like that. In other words, they are the first ones who are coming... (for dinner, etc.).To me, "la familia es lo primero" or "lo más importante" would be the best translation here.

>

updated OCT 2, 2008
posted by Allison
0
votes

lazarus1907 said:

CalvoViejo said:

Sorry, but I still don't understand. Why is primero an adverb in this sentence? To me it looks like we're equating family (via use of estar or ser) with first. In other words, first modifies family, making it an adjective.

La familia viene primero = La familia viene antes que nadie/previamente. (adverbio de tiempo u orden)La familia es lo primero = La familia es lo más importante (adjetivo).

La familia es lo primero = The family is the first
La familia es primera = The family is first

In the first sentence "lo primero" becomes a noun, so it wouldn't change gender
In the second sentence, without "lo" the word "primera" remains an adjective modifying "familia" so it changes gender to agree. ¿Correcto'

updated OCT 1, 2008
posted by CalvoViejo
0
votes

So both ways, they're of the same meaning'

That is my belief, but I am not a native speaker.

updated OCT 1, 2008
posted by 00bacfba
0
votes

So both ways, they're of the same meaning?

James Santiago said:

Allison wrote:"La Familia Estas Primero"There should be no S on está. And you don't need to capitalize all the words unless it is a title, headline, etc.

>

updated OCT 1, 2008
posted by Allison
0
votes

Oh okay, i think i sort of get it now. La familia viene primero means more to like the family is literally coming for dinner or some sort of event thing, while la familia es lo primero is more to the family comes first before anything else. Sort of like rank first kinda thing. Did i get that right? Anyway thanks Iz for explanation!

lazarus1907 said:

Allison said:

Thanks Dunia for replying. But is there any particular meaning for "es lo" ? Cause i check out some site they say the translation is "la familia viene primero". So im a little confused. Help me out please. smile

The article "lo" is used with adjectives to create nouns for which there is no known name, especially if they are abstract. You can translate it in most contexts as "the ..... thing" or "the thing that...":lo mejor = the best (thing)lo extraño = the strange (thing)lo más importante = the most important (thing)lo primero = the first (thing) / the most important (thing)"La familia viene primero" would be interpreted like this: there are several people coming (for dinner, maybe'), but the family is coming before the others, or something like that. In other words, they are the first ones who are coming... (for dinner, etc.).To me, "la familia es lo primero" or "lo más importante" would be the best translation here.

>

updated OCT 1, 2008
posted by Allison
0
votes

Allison wrote:
"La Familia Estas Primero"

There should be no S on está. And you don't need to capitalize all the words unless it is a title, headline, etc.

updated OCT 1, 2008
posted by 00bacfba
0
votes

CalvoViejo said:

Sorry, but I still don't understand. Why is primero an adverb in this sentence? To me it looks like we're equating family (via use of estar or ser) with first. In other words, first modifies family, making it an adjective.

La familia viene primero = La familia viene antes que nadie/previamente. (adverbio de tiempo u orden)
La familia es lo primero = La familia es lo más importante (adjetivo).

updated OCT 1, 2008
posted by lazarus1907
0
votes

Allison said:

Thanks Dunia for replying. But is there any particular meaning for "es lo" ? Cause i check out some site they say the translation is "la familia viene primero". So im a little confused. Help me out please. smile

The article "lo" is used with adjectives to create nouns for which there is no known name, especially if they are abstract. You can translate it in most contexts as "the ..... thing" or "the thing that...":

lo mejor = the best (thing)
lo extraño = the strange (thing)
lo más importante = the most important (thing)
lo primero = the first (thing) / the most important (thing)

"La familia viene primero" would be interpreted like this: there are several people coming (for dinner, maybe'), but the family is coming before the others, or something like that. In other words, they are the first ones who are coming... (for dinner, etc.).

To me, "la familia es lo primero" or "lo más importante" would be the best translation here.

updated OCT 1, 2008
posted by lazarus1907
0
votes

So James, whether it's "La Familia Es Lo Primero" or "La Familia Estas Primero", either way it's correct right? Or is there a specific way of saying it?

James Santiago said:

This certainly could be a case of the blind leading the blind, but as I understand it (until corrected by Mr. L), estar in such uses is a more "active" verb than ser. Ser describes an inherent quality, so saying that la familia es primera is describing something intrinsic to families, whereas using estar is more ephemeral. That's why I chose to use it to translate "comes." This is similar to phrases such as "Eres buena" versus "Estás buena." The former means you are a good person, while the latter means you look good.I just now googled "la familia está primero," and it got 1270 hits, so either it's correct, or at least I'm not alone in being wrong. wink

>

updated OCT 1, 2008
posted by Allison
0
votes

CalvoViejo said:

Sorry, but I still don't understand. Why is primero an adverb in this sentence? To me it looks like we're equating family (via use of estar or ser) with first. In other words, first modifies family, making it an adjective. James, I'm not trying to argue, just trying to understand.

CV

Hi CV
I think it is because primero is qualifying the verb venir and not the noun familia.

updated OCT 1, 2008
posted by Eddy
0
votes

I just realized that I didn't address your question about why primero is an adverb. I think it's because estar here means something like "exists," so the family exists first, in which case "first" is an adverb in English.

updated OCT 1, 2008
posted by 00bacfba
0
votes

This is confusing. But i kinda like the flow of "La Familia Es Lo Primero". Thanks James for clearing it up!

updated OCT 1, 2008
posted by Allison
0
votes

This certainly could be a case of the blind leading the blind, but as I understand it (until corrected by Mr. L), estar in such uses is a more "active" verb than ser. Ser describes an inherent quality, so saying that la familia es primera is describing something intrinsic to families, whereas using estar is more ephemeral. That's why I chose to use it to translate "comes." This is similar to phrases such as "Eres buena" versus "Estás buena." The former means you are a good person, while the latter means you look good.

I just now googled "la familia está primero," and it got 1270 hits, so either it's correct, or at least I'm not alone in being wrong. wink

updated OCT 1, 2008
posted by 00bacfba
0
votes

Sorry, but I still don't understand. Why is primero an adverb in this sentence? To me it looks like we're equating family (via use of estar or ser) with first. In other words, first modifies family, making it an adjective.
James, I'm not trying to argue, just trying to understand.

CV

updated OCT 1, 2008
posted by CalvoViejo
0
votes

Alright sweet! Which means "La Familia Es Lo Primero" sounds more gramatically correct and is more smooth flowing than La Familia Viene Primero?

James Santiago said:

Cause i check out some site they say the translation is "la familia viene primero".This smacks of English. Venir isn't usually used in this way in Spanish. Beginners often want translations to "look" like the original, but that isn't the best approach. Trust what knowledgeable native speakers like Dunia say. "Lo + adjective" is a common structure in Spanish, and sounds natural here. There are more than one way to express this, though.

>

updated OCT 1, 2008
posted by Allison