HomeQ&AIndirect and Direct Object Pronouns and Nouns

Indirect and Direct Object Pronouns and Nouns

1

I am having the hardest time with indirect object pronouns and the direct object pronouns. I cannot tell when to use me, te, le, nos, os, and les on the indirect objects of pronouns. The same thing with the direct object pronouns with me, te, lo/la, nos, os, and los/las.

Does anyone have a clue how to tell these apart from one another. I am stumped big time.

lkhughes

posted by lkhughes

1

This is a subject that's difficult to master. It's not that hard to follow the lesson material as others here have given, and you can walk away from that after studying it a bit and say, "OK, got it!"

Then you actually encounter some Spanish sentences and the reality of it all sets in. My thought process sounded something like this:

"Whoa! Which is that? And... 'te' here...is that direct or indirect? And what about that 'se' there, is that indirect, direct, or is it a passive se or something else? Ayyyyyy!!!!!!!"

And then on top of that, our goal is fluency, so we ought to be able to grasp this without thinking about it!!!

Well, fear not. About 400,000,000 people in the world can do just that, including a lot of them that aren't as smart as you are. It just takes time and practice.

One thing that helped me immensely was the RID acronym for object pronoun order. When you encounter Spanish pronouns, they are always in the order of RID - Reflexive, Indirect, Direct.

More great news: Two is the maximum number of pronouns that can appear together. So here are the options:

Reflexive-Indirect

Reflexive-Direct

Indirect-Direct

That's it. And one more bit of luck: The Reflexive-Indirect combination is very rare, so it's almost never that one!

Practice, practice, practice. You can do this.

edited by Goyo
posted by Goyo
Thank you so much. That really did make more sense now that you spelled it out. I am a beginner when it comes to Spanish. I feel like I am in kindergarten Spanish. I want to be fluent and say it correctly. I have only been doing this for 7 weeks now. - lkhughes, JUL 18, 2010
1

Watch the lesson 2.3 for a great refresher course.

If you are not familiar with the lessons here, in the top left corner is Learn Spanish, then click on Learn Spanish 2 and select 2.3 Parties and Indirect Object Pronouns.

IOP

edited by LateToDinner
posted by LateToDinner
Thanks for pointing that out. I had no idea where to get the 2.3 lesson. I know now and thanks to you I will get better at finding questions. Your the best. - lkhughes, JUL 18, 2010
1

Welcome to the forum. In reference section pronouns you'll find out more wink check here: link text

posted by swing
Thanks!!! Every little bit helps. - lkhughes, JUL 18, 2010