HomeQ&APedirSE is the same as Querer?

PedirSE is the same as Querer?

3

Me pido un perro. Quiero un perro. Isn't that right?

So what about "Me pido adelante" which I hear once in a while that seems to mean "Me first" like "pido mano" or something, but I would figure it for something like "I want to go ahead". Gracias.

edited by jeezzle
posted by jeezzle

4

"Me pido un perro" is not correct

"Me pido adelante" is something you say when you want to sit on the front seat of a car, I think in english it is "I call shotgun"

"Me first" would be "Yo primero"

posted by tubowski
Why is it me pido with the me? that makes it pronomial right, to use the "I want" form that somehow excludes el perro precioso. - jeezzle, JUL 9, 2010
3

Pedir- To ask for something. Quiero-To want something.

posted by Miguel77
2

Well, I hope that this does not confuse things further, but the RAE does seem to indicate that the verb pedir can be used in the same sense as querer

Pedir - (5th entry) Querer, desear o apetecer.

On the other hand, I think (although I could be wrong) that it is only used in this sense in much the same way as you might say Solo pido que me dejes en paz - I just ask that you leave me alone (i.e. I just want you to leave me alone).

posted by Izanoni1
1

This comment from Quentin on a previous post: Pedirse

It is only when used pronominally that the verb has the connotation of escoger (to choose).

posted by Kiwi-Girl
1

I found an explanation where they are comparing it to 'bag something' like 'bagging the best one' and I can understand that but to me pedir is always 'asking F O R' something not just 'asking' . Pedir la mano, pedir el coche, pedir mano (deal me the cards) pedir adelante (shotgun). Are you good with it or still wondering?

posted by margaretbl
Well, the "Me pido" indicates that there is a pronomial usage that goes beyond the "ask for" that pedir indicates normally, so I am still wondering how "me pido adelante" fits in with it, clearly with the pronoun the usage is slightly different. OR is it - jeezzle, JUL 9, 2010
just that extra pronoun for emphasis and he's really saying "Pido adelante" but with emphasis. "ME pido adelante" like "ME quiero eso". - jeezzle, JUL 9, 2010
Sigh, when you say words like 'pronomial' me rendo... haha - margaretbl, JUL 9, 2010
wait, wait I get it now, that is the reflexive right, so of course, that fits with the 'to bag it' like 'yo me pido la fresa' - margaretbl, JUL 9, 2010
0

From our dictionary: ¿qué pastel te pides tú? -> which cake do you want? ¡me pido prímer para subir al columpio! -> bags I get first go on the swing!(uso infantil) (British), dibs on first go on the swing! (United States)

So it does seem to mean "to want" at least in some form though I don't have the specifics.

"Pido mano" thread here where it was listed to mean "me first" but I guess it means "The first to talk". Pido mano

posted by jeezzle