HomeQ&ANew Spanishdict Site

New Spanishdict Site

3

You have all had a chance to run your fingers over the new site. I am just trying to get a little feedback from you. I know we still have some bugs to sort out which we hope to resolve sooner rather than later, but what are your initial reactions. Is the new layout an improvement? Are the facilities easy to find? Is the dictionary any better with its identification of conjugated verbs? How about the conjugation tool? Fire away.

Some problems with the dictionary, and with the conjugation tool (pronominal verbs) have been pointed out, and they are looking for solutions. - hhmdirocco, AGO 11, 2009
I suggest we close this thread, so as to not get it confused with the N E W New SD thread! - Gekkosan, ENE 13, 2012

0

I never had the chance to see the old website, however this one seems to run pretty smoothly. I like how everything works and how vocabulary is reinforced in different ways.

updated AGO 10, 2009
posted by ilearnspanish
5

The smooth look is great! A few disappointments:

1) It's confusing that posts are not listed chronologically.

2) It was easier to read corrections when we could use bold, red text, cross outs, etc. (especially when Lazarus does the corrections!).

3) I feel like posts are getting lost because they don't bump up to the first page when someone makes a comment.

4). I STILL don't know how to quote someone when responding to a post.

Thanks for listening!

3

The one major issue I have is that you are not notified if one of your posts has been commented on. Yes, you get an e-mail if someone has posted a whole new answer to a thread you've subscribed to, but you get nothing if someone has commented. That can be really annoying, with one having to go back through his old threads just to find a comment. If the comment section is the "key to responding to others' posts" then you should definitely get notified when someone posts a comment.

updated AGO 12, 2009
posted by Nick-Cortina
Agreed, I think we need to really work on better notification of action taken on the content you've posted. - Toph, AGO 12, 2009
3

I agree with Marianne:

1) People write posts in response to other people's posts, and then they all get reorganized, and in the end you don't know what's going on. I think I remember qfreed complaining about the same thing.

2) I miss my colours!

3) The newer quoting method is very weird and hard to use.

4) I supposed that this will be fixed, but I write different lines, and they all appear in one single paragraph. I have to leave an empty line, whether I like it or not, if I don't want different lines to end up together.

updated AGO 11, 2009
posted by lazarus1907
The key to responding to other people's posts is to leave a comment instead of adding an answer. The answers are there solely to address the question asked in hopes that the "asker" can find their answer more easily without reading the branch off comments - Paralee, AGO 11, 2009
2

For those who would like a little tour, there is a video available to show you many of the new features and how they work.

updated DIC 25, 2009
posted by Paralee
2

There are quite a few subtle differences which I like. One of these is that on the old site when you double clicked a word it led you to the directory via a link. Now you stay where you are and a translation appears alongside. OK, this may not be 100% accurate due to the lack of context but it is quite useful most of the time.

updated AGO 11, 2009
Yes, I love this feature! - --Mariana--, AGO 10, 2009
The old site opened a separate window with the dictionary entry. This would be a good thing to bring back while keeping the new, instant translation feature, which is a great idea (of course, with the limitation already mentioned and of which it advises.) - hhmdirocco, AGO 11, 2009
2

The site looks nicer but I don´t like a couple of changes. 1. The forum was much easier to browse before the change and seems a bit ruined. 2. The dictionary and conjugations are as good as before. 3. The Vocabulary Flashcards really needs more improvement and options. I just made my first set of cards and the words that weren't translated have no audio and I don't see an option to fix that!

updated AGO 10, 2009
edited by epicfail
posted by epicfail
Hi Demasiadofro. We had a bug relating to generating audio when creating flashcards. It is now fixed. If you edit your flashcards and resave them, it should generate the audio for you. - Christopher, AGO 10, 2009
1

Dictionary and Conjugation It was a surprise to find the site changed this evening after not being on it for several days. I don't use the forum much anymore but I constantly use the dictionary and conjugation tool. Something that seems to have changed is that when you are using the dictionary and start typing a word to translate, it used to start filling in options -- a classically good idea, as sometimes you don't know how to spell the word you're looking up. I loved that. Same with the conjugation tool.

Tonight I was trying to find the translation for the English word "liar". It would only give the Spanish verb and meaning. I think the old version would have taken me to the right place, but that's just a guess.

Slow loading pages Another thing that may be being worked out, and it may be because of all the advertisements (and I'm glad to say that I'm starting to really tune out the fat belly pictures, they don't gross me out like they used to) is that the pages take a long time to load. The old version was much faster.

Forum I don't even know where to start with this. Way intimidating. And a year ago, it wasn't.

Sorry to be so negative, but I hope it helps somehow. I still appreciate the site in a big way, and recommend it to everyone I know who is trying to learn to speak Spanish.

updated AGO 15, 2009
posted by Barbara-C
1

Hi friends, I'm sure you want to hear constructive critics, what's wrong, don't you?

Well, here another bad feature of the new design:

When you click on someone's profile, what you expect to find is only the personal information, not the posts of that person. I mean, now you click on someone's profile and what you get is just noise: Latest Activity, badges, answers, etc. Sorry friends, I feel like this:

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20021223_05_mistake.gif

(point 4 from this page http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9605.html)

Consider this please:

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9605a.html

When I click on a profile, personal info is shown just in a narrow left side strip.

And in the main page, in the right side, I see a prominent ad, and a a frame of 'Latest activity' that I almost can't see because of the ad, and difficult to read because the size of texts is too small, you just see the top part.

I think also that the width of the 'answers box' is too wide. I'd rather the width of the "Answer this Question" box.

To tell the truth, since the first moment I saw the new site, I didn't like it the new web interface. And I'm taking time to answer because I think this site it's worthwhile. In fact, I got surprised when I run it across. Thank you.

updated AGO 12, 2009
posted by Pablo_
Perhaps is a matter or get use to the new interface, anyway, I think it definitely needs some fixes. - Pablo_, AGO 11, 2009
This is interesting: http://www.useit.com/alertbox/reading_pattern.html - Pablo_, AGO 11, 2009
Why links to http:// pages aren't working? Is it that the intended purpose? - Pablo_, AGO 11, 2009
I do adore constructive criticism, so I'm glad and thankful you took the time. Re: profiles -- I'm interested that you don't expect to see latest activity there. Maybe I've just been trained too well by Facebook. But... [cont] - Toph, AGO 12, 2009
...I don't think most people tend to put a lot of content into their profiles. There's not too much to say. So who you are on the site ends up being largely defined by what you do on the site--i.e., your latest activity. - Toph, AGO 12, 2009
Also: what "main page" are you referring to? The home page, or the main answers page? Only the latter has an ad on the right. And what "answers box"? You mean this whole column displaying the answers? Anyway -- I've looked at the links you've posted, &... - Toph, AGO 12, 2009
...we'll definitely keep all this in mind. Thanks again for your time and for sticking with us. - Toph, AGO 12, 2009
1

Marianne said:

I agree with these things. And yes, Marianne and Lazarus, the Quote feature is difficult to figure out, especially quotes within quotes (I am quoting Billy who quoted Susie ...).

The colors for corrections were a great feature and a big "hole" in the new format, especially for the "Proof Reading" category.

I think the biggest drawback (and I am told they are trying to figure out how best to improve this) is that there is no indication when a thread has new posts or comments. So you have to scroll through screens of threads and read every post in every thread to see if there are new comments or answers. And as Pablo said, the color/boldness of the threads I have already visited that have no new posts or comments is the same as all the rest. This, along with the fact that threads with new posts do not jump to the top of the list, is resulting in far fewer responses and views to some very good questions/threads.

When the threads with new posts would jump to the top of the list, the "best" questions stayed alive much longer and with many more members commenting. When the subject had been exhausted, it "died" (rode down the list as newer, livelier threads came to the top). I find this new setup very cumbersome and extremely time consuming.

Yes, the order of the posts is confusing at first, but remember, Marianne and Lazarus, that you can simply click "OLDEST" or "NEWEST" on top of the first answer, and it will organize the posts in chronological or reverse-chronological order, respectively.

The default to "Most Votes" requires one to use the Quote feature more and to reference his statements well, so that if his post is voted to the top, readers will understand what he is referring to. A little adjustment, but for the most part for the better (once they improve the quoting system/bring back the old one), especially having the three options of how you want to view the thread.

updated AGO 11, 2009
posted by hhmdirocco
0

I suggest we close this thread, so as to not get it confused with the N E W New SD thread!

posted by Gekkosan
0

-- Delete --

edited by pesta
posted by pesta
0

test

updated AGO 11, 2009
posted by hhmdirocco
0

I said it a day or two after the site was up but I will say it again, I like the site. I can't wait to see how it evolves over the next few years. Thanks again to all who are working diligently on the site.

updated AGO 11, 2009
posted by Jason7R
Yes, a load of thanks! - hhmdirocco, AGO 11, 2009
0

I am really enjoying the changes that have been made. I stumbled upon this site when I was trying to translate a word and I've been hooked ever since. I can not believe that the site is free. I have paid for membership to other Spanish learning sites that don't offer nearly as much as Spanishdict does. I see that others have a few complaints about some of the changes, but I for one, am a very, very satisfied member. Muchos Gracias!!

updated AGO 11, 2009
posted by Nicole-B