Senado
Senado
proper noun
1. (politics) 
a. Senate 
El Senado aprobó el proyecto de la ley antiterrorismo.The Senate passed the anti-terrorism bill.
senado
masculine noun
2. (politics) 
a. senate 
El poder legislativo comprende un senado y un congreso.The legislative branch comprises a senate and a congress.
3. (building) 
a. senate 
Los manifestantes y los activistas protestaron frente al senado.The protesters and activists rallied outside the senate.
El senado fue diseñado por un arquitecto francés.The senate building was designed by a French architect.
c. senate house (United States) 
La ceremonia de nombramiento se realizó en el senado.The naming ceremony took place in the senate house.
senado
Noun
1. (general) 
a. senate 
senado
1 (Política) senate
2 (reunión) assembly; gathering
The Senado is the Upper Chamber of the Spanish Parliament. Approximately 80% of its 256 members acquire their seats in the general elections while the remaining 20% are nominated by each of the Autonomous Regions (Comunidades Autónomas). Like the Congreso de los Diputados, the term of office for the Senado is no longer than four years.
note See culture box in entry congreso.
Examples
Learn Spanish with Fluencia
Try Fluencia, the new Spanish learning program from SpanishDict.
  • Fun and interactive
  • Highly effective
  • Easy to use
  • Works on any device
Start Learning
Did this page answer your question?