HomeQ&ALos Guillicos translates as?

Los Guillicos translates as?

0

Can someone help me? "Los Guillicos" is used as part of a place name locally. None of my, admittedly small, dictionaries seems to contain the word. "Seems to contain" because I am unfamiliar with the rule for the alphabetical listing of words in Spanish. I'm sorry to introduce myself with so elemental a request but I need to start somewhere.

Thanks, Bob

updated DIC 22, 2010
posted by Robert-Becklund

1

Sorry. I don't know. If you can find what Guillicos means, you probably will know what this is (you probably knew but los is the, for plural)- ps. Welcome to the Spanishdict society. I just joined in Sept. You'll enjoy it too!

updated NOV 13, 2009
edited by nizhoni1
posted by bookworm
0

My previous guess was totally wrong. According to a California place name etymology, the name is a (I surmise) phonetically-Spanish spelling of a (local tribe) Miwok word meaning "dusty", with the Spanish "los" and ending "-os" added.

updated DIC 22, 2010
posted by jdogmom
0

Just a guess, but "Guilico" (one "L", not two), was probably someone's surname, since the area in Sonoma County was from a land grant, "Rancho Los Guilicos".

updated DIC 22, 2010
posted by jdogmom