HomeQ&ARecuring Questions

Recuring Questions

0

What is the difference between saber and conocer?

I always thought that the phrase, me gusta, meant "I like" which could be applied to a person, thing or experience. I recently got a hint that it applies only to a person. I could use some clarification.

posted by Bill-Mc2

0

Thank you, Cherry.

posted by Bill-Mc2
0

Both saber and conocer mean "to know".

Saber means to know a fact, information, or how to do something.Sé que George Bush es el presidente. I know (the fact) that George Bush is the President.
Sé conducir. I know how to drive.
¿Sabes que Washington, DC es la capital de los EEUU?

Conocer means to be aquainted with.
Conozco a George Bush. I know George Bush. (I have met him.)
¿Conoces Washington, DC? Do you know Washington, DC? (Have you been there? Are you familiar with it')

Conocer is also used when talking about meeting someone for the first time.¿Has conocido a nuestro vecino? Have you met our neighbor'

posted by Cherry
0

Thank you. I will.

posted by Bill-Mc2
0

I will address your question about saber and conocer. Would you please start a different discussion about gustar? This will make it easier for future users to reference the information.

posted by Cherry