HomeQ&Athe right way to speak spanish

the right way to speak spanish

0

I took spanish for 2 years in high school. My brother in law who is a mexican/american said they were teaching me proper spanish and that's not the way you speak on the street. is there really a difference'

updated OCT 27, 2010
posted by Carol-McTaggart
Well that is just like saying if you learn proper English is ot the way you speak on the streets. The correct way to learn any language will be proper grammar, proper spelling. Once you learn that then picking up slangs will not be difficult. - ARLENE-LITTLEJOH, OCT 27, 2010

0

Hi Carol
Every country has its variations of its natural language. it may not be the way they TALK ON THE STREET but if you learn what i would say is good spanish, then you will be understood in every spanish speaking country. you may not know the small variations, but you will know the language.

updated OCT 27, 2010
I do agree with this. It is absolutely truth. As a native spanish speaker you are able to understand Spanish even if it is spoken in the wrong way. - ARLENE-LITTLEJOH, OCT 27, 2010
0

Well I just sign up to this site and I was curious when I saw the tittle of your discussion. I think that every hispanic person thinks that the way the speak Spanish is better than the other. I am originally from Panama. I have learned that there are so many words that are interpreted differently depending from what country you come from just let me give you a simple example: The straw that we use to drink. in my country it is called "carrizo" in Mexico it is called "Popote", in Honduras it is called "pajilla" in Puerto Rico it is called "sorbete", and so on. What really matters in a language is the correct spelling the and the correct grammar. The correct accent that you are to placed on the words. Your verbe tenses etc. If we were to get into a discussion of words it will never end and of course you know latinos we will take a discussion way too long, but this is what makes us unique. Now we have a whole new language emerging from the Hispanic-Americans meaning those who are born here in the US and have never studied Spanish in their native countries that is a whole new story, but I respect the parents that do speak Spanish at home to their kids and also teaches them the culture. One thing that I would like to comment to you all of us who were born from Central, South and North America are Americans. A mexican is an american even if he was born in Mexico. Just remember the Continent is America not the USA that is one big mistake that is often made. I actually got a degree in Spanish-Interpretation and Translation and this thought much more than I even learned in my own native country. There is a lot to share and a lot to learn from the Spanish culture, much more than is seen on TV, we are more than what the movies or the TV portrays. Another big mistake that I see on TV channels such as Mun2 is the Spanglish that is the most horrible thing to do.
Well I just wanted to share some thought with you,
Now to answer what your brother said there is always going to be slang, I am quite sure that you were not thought slangs, and for the most if you are born in the US and you are from hispanic decent you will pick up too many slangs and you will actually believe that you are speaking correctly and it is very hard to decern the difference.

updated MAR 18, 2008
posted by ARLENE-LITTLEJOH
0

Thanks eddy. I work at a reservoir we have a large hispanic crowd during the summer. I need to make sure that the signs I put up in spanish are worded correctly

updated MAR 17, 2008
posted by Carol-McTaggart