choose between, won, earned, gained, profited.

0

Hi! I have to choose the right option, I just want to be sure I did well.

I had to choose between, won, earned, gained, profited.

1. Have you ever **won **anything in the lottery?

2. My goodness you're fat, I've **gained **a lot of weight!

3. She won the contest with little competition

updated MAY 20, 2009
posted by AntMexico

0

ÿjÿ - Hazard - Caution - Look Out - ÿjÿ
Iker (& others):

Earnt is not a proper conjugation of the verb to earn.
The correctly conjugated verb is "Earned".

Also,

"to make money" and

"to lose money" are not stand alone verbs.

In the former case the verb is "to make" and money is the object of the verb

In the latter case, "to lose" is the verb and money is the object of the verb

The expressions "to make money" and "to lose money" are common and frequently used. Here, the phrases are not correctly identified. They are phrases not verbs.

updated MAY 20, 2009
posted by Moe
0

grrrrrrrr, se prohibe TERMINANTEMENTE este tipo de avatares..... mad angry

voy a tener que hablar con algún administrador.... rolleyes

updated MAY 20, 2009
0

Hola Tony
Sólo un apunte más, bastante interesante a mi modo de ver, en lo referente a "ganar dinero" . En inglés hay tres formas de expresar "ganar dinero" por una en español
to earn money Por medio del trabajo o empleo.
He earnt a lot money last year . (ÿl) Ganó mucho dinero el año pasado.
How much do you earn? ¿Cuánto ganas?
My wife earns more than I do. Mi mujer gana más que yo.

to win money . Se emplea cuando se gana dinero en la lotería o en concursos.
I've never won anything on the lottery. Nunca he ganado nada en la lotería. (por desgracia)

to make money Se suele emplear cuando se hace referencia al dinero que gana una empresa y también cuando una persona lo gana con la especulación de acciones o venta de inmuebles.
The company made a lot of money with that product. La empresa ganó mucho dinero con ese producto.
They made a fortune on the stock market last year. (Ellos) Ganaron una gran fortuna en la bolsa de valores el año pasado.

P.D. En resumen se usan tres verbos en inglés (to earn, to win,to make money) para "ganar dinero" pero curiosamente, cuando es cuestión de perderlo sólo se usa uno "to lose money" perder dinero.

updated MAY 20, 2009
posted by iker
0

1. My goodness you're fat, I've gained a lot of weight.

I don't know if you meant to change the subject (you). If you wanted to keep the subject the same, you would write "My goodness you're fat, you've gained a lot of weight."

updated MAY 20, 2009
posted by pickusdr
0

Thanks a lot Moe! I'll have to study it in deep :D

updated MAY 20, 2009
posted by AntMexico
0

This was an interesting challenge. I have profited from it. I hope you have gained some insight into the basic meanings of the words. In the process I hope we have earned each other's respect. If so we have won an important co-operative goal.

Regards,

Moe

Muy informativo e interesante Moe, muchas gracias smile

updated MAY 20, 2009
0

Toni:

I accept your challange to explain the uses of these four words. Consider the following:

To earn ? in broad general terms:
'we earn through the personal energy we put out as for example in earning our wages or pay.
'We can also earn a return on invested capital.
'Additionally, in commercial transactions, we earn as in buy goods, merchandise, produce or other marketable commodities and then selling them at a higher price representing the profit earned.

To win ? in broad general terms:
'We win when there is some element of chance or competition involved, as in winning a prize in a lottery or sports pool
'We win by overcoming one or more opponents as in winnig a race or winning a soccer game or winning a wrestling match
'Winning often (but not always) carries a suggestion of some degree of windfall or prize

To gain ? in broad general terms:
? A gain is in increase or addition as in gain weight by say, overeating or to gain speed by say, accelerating a car or boat
? A watch or clock can gain time if it is running too fast

To Profit ? in broad general terms:
'In a commercial context profit is what is left when one or more business transactions are completed and a merchant, seller, business person, etc. has more asset in hand than was there before the series of transactions. If there is less asset after the transactions, it is referred to as a loss.
'If experience is an asset, we can profit in a way from nearly any experience whether a positive or negative experience. If we learned from an event, we profited from it.

I have said in each case, 'in a broad general way'. The definitions I have offered are not full and complete. For full and complete you need to look at dictionary definitions. In addition to the descriptions I have given there are many interchangeable uses of all four of the words explained above.

Consider this example:
The debater won his point when he showed how the bank profited from the financial gains earned by an investor. In this situation, everyone gained something.

There are many figures of speech in English that seem to differ from the broad general meanings I have suggested. English is like Spanish in this, you just have to learn the idioms and figures of speech by listening, reading and using them.

Regards,
Moe

updated MAY 20, 2009
posted by Moe
0

Todos son correctos
Mil gracias Robert. Maybe someone could give a small explanation about when using each verb because in Spanish they're translated simply as ganar.
*
Me gané un premio.
Gané mucho peso por comer hamburguesas.
Me gané un ascenso en el trabajo.*

updated MAY 20, 2009
posted by AntMexico
0

Todos son correctos

updated MAY 20, 2009
posted by Robert-Austin