el olvido - from Juanes "Minas Piedras"

0

I'm translating the Juanes song "Minas Piedras" for myself and have a question about his use of "el olvido." My dictionary lists the meanings as "oblivion" or "forgetfulness," but in the context of this song it seems to mean "to be forgotten" -- can someone confirm or refute this?

Here are the lyrics in context:

"No merecemos EL OLVIDO
somos la voz del pueblo
dice un señor sentado
con sus dos ojos vendados
pero que aún tiene
la esperanza en sus manos."

Thanks!!! Wendy

updated MAR 5, 2008
posted by wendy2

0

That's pretty much what I ended up translating, too:
We don't deserve to be forgotten
We are the voice of the people
Said a man sitting
With his two eyes blindfolded
But he still has
Hope in his hands.

Thanks for weighing in. I wasn't sure if "to be forgotten" was a legitimate translation, but it was the only one that made sense to me.

updated MAR 5, 2008
posted by wendy2
0

I know. I made an error when typing. I am translating it like it would have been here in Tijuana, México. But yes I ment to write people and not town. Sorry.

updated MAR 4, 2008
posted by Scott
0

i believe dave and you are correct. the context is to be forgotten. I would say the lyrics mean something like,

we do not deserve to be forgotten, we are the voice of the people/nation, says the blind(blindfolded) man whilst sitting. but even so(in spite of this) he still holds(has) hope in his hands.

updated MAR 3, 2008
0

Scott, thats the problem when translating languages...its not a direct translation word for word..the way the words are arranged gives it a different meaning, even when the word means something else..Example with "somos la voz del pueblo"..pueblo is a town..but he's actually saying people..we are the voice of the people(who live in the town)..anyway..just my 2 cents..hahaha..

updated MAR 3, 2008
posted by dave5
0

Thanks to all!

updated MAR 3, 2008
posted by wendy2
0

i believe it is we are the voice of the "PEOPLE" not town

updated MAR 1, 2008
0

Those lyrics mean........

We do not deserve THE OVERSIGHT we are the voice of the town says a seated gentleman with its two eyes
bandaged but that still he has the hope in his hands.

updated MAR 1, 2008
posted by Scott
0

Thanks very much!

posted by wendy2
0

It seems like you got it right..We dont deserve "to be forgotten" seems like the best and shortest translation to that first line ..

posted by dave5