HomeQ&ARaise or lift the hood on a car

Raise or lift the hood on a car

1

Referring to the hood on a car (Mexico):

Como se dice:

"Please look under the hood and check the oil." "Raise the hood, please. Lift the hood, please."

My attempt: Favor de alzar el toldo y revisar el aceite.

Muy agradecido a todos.

updated MAY 3, 2011
edited by Jeremy
posted by paseloquepase

2

Ok, it depends where you are living. For instance, in the north of Mexico, we say "cofre" (hood).

el cofre del carro; the hood's car.....

updated MAY 3, 2011
posted by calola
2

Vikingo said:

The way I understand it, "toldo" can be used with cars, but it refers to convertibles - you're raising the ceiling of the car. I think "capó" is the correct word when it comes to the hood over the motor etc.

In Spain we use "capó", but in Mexico they use "toldo".

updated MAY 3, 2011
posted by lazarus1907
1

Daniel said:

"Por favor, mire abajo la capucha y revise el nivel del aceite." (Please look under the hood and check the oil level.)

Daniel, "capucha" is a hood, but only for clothes. It sounds funny to look for oil within the hood of your jacket.

updated NOV 26, 2010
posted by lazarus1907
0

Thanks for sharing. It's great.

pret auto

posted by binclintonusa
0

This was the only thing I looked up for what I wrote, in a very bad dictionary -- OOps should have checked this site. Hope you got a good laugh from "capucha" I did. It is one way I will never forget that word. Thanks

posted by Daniel
0

It seems fine... for Mexico. In Spain, "toldo" means "sunshade", and we'd say "Haga el favor de...".

posted by lazarus1907
0

posted by Vikingo
0

I am only a beginner: but I will give this a try.

"Por favor, mire abajo la capucha y revisa el nivel del aceite." (Please look under the hood and check the oil level.)

I added this side note. I drive in Mexico quite often -- you should have your car in very good condition. It is not like driving in the US. Also always get Mexican car insurance -- it is cheap $14/day or $35/week. You can get it at the border or on- line.

posted by Daniel