HomeQ&Apreterate tense of estar examples

preterate tense of estar examples

0

The preterate tense and the imperfect tense of estar confuse me. I don't know witch one to use. Some sentences might help.
La comida estuvo rica.
Estaba ocupado.
I don't see the difference and would appreciate some enlightenment.
muchas gracias

posted by rca

0

We never stop learning.

lazarus1907 said:

rca said:

Dios le bendice!

...and hopefully, "le bendiga" too.

Dios le bendice = God does bless him

Dios le bendiga = May God bless him

>

posted by rca
0

rca said:

Dios le bendice!

...and hopefully, "le bendiga" too.

Dios le bendice = God does bless him
Dios le bendiga = May God bless him

posted by lazarus1907
0

You explain it very well for me to understand. Dios le bendice!

James Santiago said:

Estar is no different from other verbs in this case. If the action is viewed as whole and complete, the preterit (or preterite, but not preterate) is used. If the action is considered as pending in the past, and the action is happening while something else happens, the imperfect is used. It's called imperfect because the past-ness of the action isn't perfect (complete).

La comida estuvo rica. Over and done with. It was delicious. Enough said.

Estaba ocupado. Here, the action of being busy is not well defined in terms of beginning and end. You were busy, and probably something else was intruding on your time. Estaba ocupado cuando me llamó por teléfono.

If you said "Estuve ocupado todo el verano," it means that you are regarding the state of being busy as a finite period, and your being busy ended with the summer.

I hope this makes it a little more clear. I suggest you google various conjugations and read how they are used. You'll soon get a feel for it.

>

posted by rca
0

posted by 00bacfba