I can't write it, so I can't translate it

0

I am trying to learn spanish in order to more effectively communicate with my mexican coworkers, and I can't seem to find a word that they often use. It is pronounced OH DIH LAY or maybe OH DAH LAY and I have no idea how it is written or spelled correctly in spanish. Please help me figure this out.

posted by jeremy2

0

They are saying "orale" (there should be a tilde on the o)..it isn't really a word...more an exclamation...it means something like "I agree" or "Yeah" or "you got it" or something like that

posted by Carol
0

Orale makes much more sense, especially if it means something like okay, because when my coworkers say it, they use it congenially in casual situations, similar, I imagine to the "orale pues" mentioned by Jenni.

Thank you for your help everyone.

posted by jeremy2
0

IT's orale. I'm not sure of the exact translation. Sometimes my friend says "orale pues" while he is on the phone talking to friends.

posted by jenni2
0

yup, it sounds like Orale
most commonly it used to say ok, but it can be used other ways.

posted by Christie
0

Found this

Orale greeting
? Orale carnal. (OK brother.) ? This is a common term used (Mexican Spanish) as a greeting and also as a verb of acceptance, like OK. It is usually followed by a title (exp. Orale compa.)

on this site

[url=http://www.mrgabe.com/dictionary/Spanish/index.asp'startrow=0&maxrows=853]http://www.mrgabe.com/dictionary/Spanish/index.asp'startrow=0&maxrows=853[/url]

posted by motley
0

It's possible they are speaking fast and softly pronouncing the n: ahndale.

posted by manutd
0

Cherry, Isn't there some term used with onda'

posted by motley
0

I really can't tell you that for sure, but I doubt it. I can't think of any other possibilities for what they might be saying.

posted by Cherry
0

It's possible, and that sounds very likely, but I'm pretty sure that it is an "O" sound. Do you think there could be a certain dialect where they pronounce ándale with an o? or are my ears just very untrained'

posted by jeremy2
0

Are you sure they might not be saying, ándale?

It means go as in hurry up.

posted by Cherry