HomeQ&AFarra

Farra

0

Como se dice "farra" en ingles'

posted by vivian

0

Born in Guatemala, Raised in California (US), Lived in Greece, divorced and moved back to California.

I think sometimes you need to tax your physical senses exhaust them so that these don't get in the way of pure emotions, pure thoughts, then you can get rid of those too and have nothing, just be and hopefully get a glance at the vast universe that you are, right when you feel your self connected with all.

You don't need a good farra for that. But sometimes it is needed.

I've always wanted to visit Australia - I guess this is about as close as I will get wink

Vivian

posted by vivian
0

I live in Melbourne Australia.
And I don't mind "bebiendo con asiduidad" if the farra is a really good one!
As to it lasting days... no problem as long as one can crash somewhere every so often.
grin

Mind you my idea of leaving nothing unexplored is not to tax my physical senses but to inmerse myself and go within.
But a good vino is always good! grin

And where do you hail from'

posted by RicardoN
0

Deal. I will invite you to one of my farras.
Which... do require "Tomar bebidas alcohólicas con asiduidad" wink

Basiclaly my farras have always meant to bring my senses - all my senses - to their extreme in order for there to be nothing left unexplored - exhausted, depleted, ready to be replenished anew smile

Where are you at'

posted by vivian
0

I know what you mean, but that is what farra means to you not for instance my understanding. I wouldn't have ever imagined poetry reading as farra! and I like poetry...
I think what the problem is , is that you have used farra in your life with your friends in ways that you shared an understanding, ie what was fun for you and them, and have taken that as the meaning of farra... which is of course correct but is not the meaning I would have given it... which is also correct.

BTW my kids never get drunk (they got that from their father! grin and they use party. For them it means a FUN occasion. As to tye lasting days, that also would not have been in my radar. Maybe i'm too square... grin

I also know Spanish speaking friends who would have considered heavy consumption of booze and even other substances as a prerequisite for a farra.
And in my youth farras that lasted for days never exsted where I grew up. That was left to Woodstock et al.

Uno de los sentidos de farra en REA es "Tomar bebidas alcohólicas con asiduidad"
so you see it's all in the colour of the glass you use to look through.

But you can invite me to one of your farras any time!
grin

posted by RicardoN
0

Bueno... I meant that it sounded infantil en el sentido de "American Pie type party" donde los chicos simplemente les interesa emborracharse y nada mas. NO se como explicarlo - that's what party means to me - pero farra es otra cosa differente - it implies that there will be so msany different things that can happen that evenin and it can probablay go on for days including some poetry reading, drinking claro, pero con motivos un poco mas profundos que lod de un simple "party". Know what I mean? Or is it just me'

posted by vivian
0

No, party no es infantil en ingles.
Es algo que los adolescentes usan a menudo para indicar una farra. Mi traduccion no era un compromiso sino como mis hijos (en sus veintitantos) hablan en ingles.

Por ejempolo un viernes estaran charlando y a las 11-12 de la noche (no muy infantil!) se miraran y dicen "come on! let's party!" y se van a donde sea!

espero que eso te ayude un poco mas. grin

posted by RicardoN
0

Ricardo y Alba - Gracias.
No queria usar "party" but... there's nothing else - nothing a little more eloquent I guess.
Como dices tu Ricardo... es como que sin limites y "party" para mi en ingles es como mas infantil, no?

It would be like anon stop party - or a non stop belligerent/decadent/full evening type of thing I think.

But thanks anyway. Maybe I'll find an alternative in some literary wittings wink

VIvian

posted by vivian
0

Farra para mi es una gran fiesta con "chupe y morfi" (bebida y alimentos grin
No es algo calmo sino mas bien sin límites.
No tiene que involucrar grandes cantidades de gente, pero debe tenher el espíritu de una gran fiesta.

In English we would say "Let's party" for "v'ámonos de farra."
On the other hand "Estuvimos de farra" would be "we were partying"
Espero que esto ayude.

posted by RicardoN
0

mmm no estoy segura si farra significa fiesta.. si es asi en ingles es "party"..

saludos !

posted by Alba