Home
Q&A
Explanation of "También"

Explanation of "También"

0

So I have this friend who group up in Argentina and speaks Spanish pretty well. She was going to teach me, but things happened and never got around to it. Recently I sent her a message saying that I still wanted to learn it.

Her response was
"Yo Tambien"

Now as far as I can tell, this would mean "Me too". Which doesn't seem to fit quite right. Is this a common Spanish phrase that means something else? Or is she really inferring that she wants to learn more and doesn't think she speaks it that well.

posted by Anathar

0

That's the sort of thing I would say. I think you're overthinking this one...she probably means 'me too! I'd love to teach you Spanish' and thereby, what she's said is utterly correct... :o)

Elle

posted by Elle
0

Haha, yeah, I get what you mean, I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing out on some common meaning for the word besides the exact translation. Thanks again though.

updated MAR 7, 2008
posted by Anathar
0

hi anathar
this is really difficult to explain but she might have been making what i call a negative aside. ie she knows that you know she speaks spanish well, and says me too as a "passing" comment. almost trying to be comical. i do this sometimes, ie a person knows i do something well, whatever, golf, mathematics etc. they make a comment regarding being able to do the same thing, not relating it to me and i just say yes, me too. knowing that i already do the thing well. don't know why i do it, just do. said it was going to be difficult and you pobably don't know what the hell i'm talking about.

updated MAR 7, 2008
0

To be honest I can't remember "exactly" how i worded it. i believe it was something along the lines of:

"By the way... One of these days I would still like to learn Espanol'" or something like that. Sadly my phone doesn't save texts that actually get delivered =\

updated MAR 7, 2008
posted by Anathar
0
  • Well, the question is.. Did you send a message in Spanish? Maybe she just misunderstood... You could write the exact conversation you gave her in Spanish, & maybe I can translate what you said to her.
    If you asked in English, read the reply to you from "heidita".
updated MAR 7, 2008
posted by Ciela
0

Ah, the joys of reading too far in to things... Even better when it's in a language you don't speak =\
Thanks!

updated MAR 6, 2008
posted by Anathar
0

También means as well, so she might have meant: I wanted you to learn it too, or , I wanted to learn Spanish better too.

updated MAR 6, 2008
0

También means also, but since you can't translate literally, me too is fine.

updated MAR 6, 2008
posted by motley