Exercise about ser and estar

0

Can somebody please tell me if I did choose right between ser and estar''?

1) Lo que están haciendo es un escándalo.
2) De momento, el señor Fernández está de Ministro de Asuntos Exteriores.
3) Estoy convencido de que nadie va a protestar.
4) La gente aquí no es pobre, ¿sabes?
5) Parece que la puerta es cerrada con llave.
6) Mi hermana está enfermera.

posted by 008fc882

0

Milena said:

I was looking at "estar de" as a whole, that is, as a separate structure, and was interested in the different nuances of meaning, that is, the difference in meaning between: "es enfermera" and "está de enfermera". Thanks for clearing it out smile))

"Estar de" is not really a structure on its own. However, "de enfermera" is a syntactic group, and it can be used, not only with "estar", but with many other verbs:

Trabajar de enfermera
Vestirse de enfermera
Ponerse de enfermera
Asistir de enfermera

Also, you can move "de enfermera" around as a single block:

Trabajo de enfermera muy bien.
Trabajo muy bien de enfermera.
De enfermera trabajo muy bien.

However, you cannot keep "de" with "estar", and move "enfermera" around, as "de enfermera" is an indivisible block with its own meaning.

You can also say "como enfermera" with practically no difference in meaning, and say "Trabajo como enfermera".

posted by lazarus1907
0

lazarus1907 said:

Milena said:

And doesn't 'estar de' + a noun that indicates a certain profession, mean that we're talking about a temporary ocupation or something that we're doing at the moment? For example: "Mi hermana es traductora, pero de momento está de profesora".

Yes, but in "estar de enfermera", "estar" is NOT followed by a noun, but a preposition: "de". The phrase "de enfermera" does not have a nominal function. In the (purposefully incorrect) sentence "Estar enfermera", the verb "estar" is followed by a noun, and that is why it is wrong.

>

posted by Milena
0

Very interesting. But in the exercise 4 of quiz 5, -- well, in the textbook that I have -- (which has a date, of course), the sentence reads: "De momento, el señor Fernández __es/está\___|_ Ministro de Trabajo. "De" is neither part of the sentence nor given with estar in the choice. That said, I used está and I missed it anyway according to the "key"! But perhaps Aaliyah's Spanish is very good indeed and Aliyah may well have recognized the problem of "de momento" and added the "de" in front of "Ministro" to remove confusion from the sentence.

Thank you! Now I know about "estar de" too! And thank you, Lazarus, I have learned about "nominal complement."

Milena said:

lazarus1907 said:

I should have explained it better. "Estar" cannot be followed by any nominal complement. E.g.Lazarus médico mi hermanael perro de la vecinaBut it can be followed by other complements whose function is that of an adjective (i.e. "cansado", "de enfermera") or an adverb ("bien"). Notice that in the following two sentences, both "cansada" and "de enfermera" modify the meaning of the noun "profesión"; the first is an adjective, and the second is a prepositional complement that behaves like an adjective.profesión cansadaprofesión de enfermera

>

posted by Janice
0

Milena said:

posted by lazarus1907
0

lazarus1907 said:

I should have explained it better. "Estar" cannot be followed by any nominal complement. E.g. Lazarus médico

mi hermana

el perro de la vecina

But it can be followed by other complements whose function is that of an adjective (i.e. "cansado", "de enfermera") or an adverb ("bien"). Notice that in the following two sentences, both "cansada" and "de enfermera" modify the meaning of the noun "profesión"; the first is an adjective, and the second is a prepositional complement that behaves like an adjective.

profesión cansada

profesión de enfermera

>

posted by Milena
0

I should have explained it better. "Estar" cannot be followed by any nominal complement. E.g.

Lazarus
médico
mi hermana
el perro de la vecina

But it can be followed by other complements whose function is that of an adjective or an adverb. Nominal complements are not introduced by "de".

posted by lazarus1907
0

lazarus1907 said:

The last two should have been:5) Parece que la puerta está cerrada con llave6) Mi hermana es enfermera"La puerta es cerrada" means that it is being closed. "Ser" is used for processes, and "estar" for the result of a process."Estar" never be followed by a noun, like "enfermera". With "estar", it would sound as if you say that the way she finds herself is "nurse".

Hi Lazarus
Why doesn´t your advice for number 6) also apply to number 2)

0

What fun! I recognized these sentences, having done the same exercise: Test 5 in "Paso a Paso"...and I made the same mistakes! But I made the mistake in sentence five because I misread the sentence to be saying that my sister is sick rather than being a nursegrin

At the time I considered posting to ask why "está cerrada instead of "es" cerrada. You have given me the answer! Again, le doy las gracias.

However, I have a question about the declaration of señor Fernández in the second sentence. My "key" to the exercises reads that "...el señor es Ministro de Trabajo." But you did not correct that one, Lazarus. Did you permit the "está" because "de momento" implies that Fernández is just substituing for the real Ministro for a few days? Or can it be that my little "soluciones" booklet is incorrect? No, no., I don't want to think that.....Author Carolina Ortiz Blasco surely speaks native "castellano".

I recall thinking at the time I missed this that the test writer might have purposely included "de momento" to ascertain whether or not a student really understands the "es" - The not-fully-prepared student (and I was one...) would fall right into this little trap and write "está" instead of "es". Or?

lazarus1907 said:

>

posted by Janice
0

The last two should have been:

5) Parece que la puerta está cerrada con llave
6) Mi hermana es enfermera

"La puerta es cerrada" means that it is being closed. "Ser" is used for processes, and "estar" for the result of a process.

"Estar" never be followed by a noun, like "enfermera". With "estar", it would sound as if you say that the way she finds herself is "nurse".

posted by lazarus1907