Reflexive Verbs (this weeks lesson)

0

Here are a couple of sentences using reflexive verbs. I am hoping to confirm my understanding.

1. I am going to the bathroom to put some lotion on my hair.
    (Voy al baño para ponerme algún loción en me pelo.)

1a. I am using ponerme = put on myself (in the invinitive)

1. Don't work yourself to death.
    (No te trabajas a muerto.)

2a. For a negative statement I put the pronoun "te" before the conjugated verb.

1. They are going to the store to buy (themselves) some snacks.
    (A ellos van al tienda para compraránse algunas tapas.)

3a. Here I used "A ellos" for clarity. I believe it is not required to do so -- is that correct?
3b. I used "compraránse" It sounds really good -- but I think the pronoun se needs to go before the conjugated verb (and if I used the correct conjugation).

4.Without a doubt, we had fun with ourselves, dancing and talking all night.
(Sin duda, se divertiearon con nosotros toda la noche.)

4a. Here I placed "se" before the conjugated verb "divertiearon", I sure does not sound good.
4b. I am not at all sure about "con nosotros" if it is needed or where it should be located in the sentence.

1. They have always hated each other.
    (A ellos siempre se odaban.)

5a. I am sure that if I used "themselves" a reflexive verb is fine -- but with "each other" I am not sure -- what do you think'

updated DIC 16, 2008
posted by Daniel

0

In #4 Lazarus corrected your spelling but the Spanish (although a perfectly good Spanish sentence) does not correspond to the meaning of the English sentence. The Spanish means "Without doubt, they enjoyed themselves with us." The English would translate to "Sin duda, nos divertimos toda la noche,"

in re #5: There are several verbs/constructions that (some grammarians) call "reflexive" that would be better termed "reciprocal". As a simple example (similar in spirit to yours), "Se besaron." If this were truly reflexive, then it should be "They kissed themselves." in English (which is most unlikely). If it is reciprocal (and it is) then the corresponding English would be "They kissed each other." (or, simply, "They kissed.").

updated DIC 16, 2008
posted by samdie
0

Voy al baño para ponerme algo de loción en el pelo.
No te trabajas a muerto. - This doesn't make sense in Spanish. Say "No te mates de trabajar".
[A] ellos van al tienda para comprarar(se) algunas tapas. - This se is optional. You can't use "a" with the subject.
Sin duda, se divirtieron con nosotros toda la noche.
[A] ellos siempre se han odiado - You can't use "a" with the subject.

updated DIC 16, 2008
posted by lazarus1907