Vocabulary lists: can be made private or public now

0

New feature to SpanishDIct

Can be viewed by:
Only Me Everybody

You can set your vocabulary lists to be public or private. You will see it in the list creation/edit screen where you can set your list to viewable by 'Only Me' or 'Everybody'. This will allow users to create their own personal lists and hopefully cut down on the amount of inaccurate lists. Even if a list is private, you can still share it with someone else by copying the link of the list and sending it to another person.

I will try to convince the creator that the public lists MUST be corrected or deleted. Let's see .

updated DIC 23, 2008

0

OK, well at least I tried.

updated DIC 23, 2008
posted by Craig-Turberfield
0

Craig Turberfield said:

But just one thing, please don't delete lists. It's really bad form. People have spent a lot of effort creating them.

I understand you thought lists were private in the first place, but I alse deleted your lists as they were full of mistakes.
I really do not see the good they would do anybody, you the first, being so full of mistakes.

updated DIC 19, 2008
0

Furthermore I think the lists should be made private by default, and only checked and revised lists be made public. i f we allow people to chose, we will see how highly people think of themselves. After all what do they care if there is a mistake or two..or twelve? In any case, people will think the lists are perfect and even rude lists will be made public.

I personally think it is bad policy to have incorrect information on a learning site.

updated DIC 19, 2008
0

Craig Turberfield said:

This is great new functionality, Heidita. Thank you so much for taking up the suggestions from the forum and making them happen. But just one thing, please don't delete lists. It's really bad form. People have spent a lot of effort creating them. If there are mistakes in a list, why not just switch it to 'Only Me' rather than delete? A lot of users probably intended their lists to be 'Only Me' in the first place, and surely doing this would keep everyone happy.

Or, as Natasha suggests, swich all "student" lists to 'Only Me' as a one-off operation. Just my thoughts....

Unfortunately this cant be done. If we could correct the lists that would be a good solution too, but we cannot (like the threads) .

In my opinion and many others, lists simply need to be correct. Public lists are used for reference, and if there are mistakes people learn these mistakes. Actually the first time I mentioned the lists to Lazarus, he asked: So who is checking that the lists are correct?

People have spent a lot of effort creating them

If this were true, there would not be so many mistakes.

updated DIC 18, 2008
0

Great news Heidita because I know you have put in an awful lot of work in trying to get this feature.

updated DIC 18, 2008
0

This is great new functionality, Heidita. Thank you so much for taking up the suggestions from the forum and making them happen.

But just one thing, please don't delete lists. It's really bad form. People have spent a lot of effort creating them. If there are mistakes in a list, why not just switch it to 'Only Me' rather than delete? A lot of users probably intended their lists to be 'Only Me' in the first place, and surely doing this would keep everyone happy.

updated DIC 18, 2008
posted by Craig-Turberfield
0

HI Nati, we are even thinking of deleting these as so many have a lot of mistakes.

updated DIC 18, 2008
0

That's great!!

Any chance of defaulting existing lists to be "private" (except for those which have been created by administrators)? I'm gin the process of changing mine to "private", but there are surely a lot of lists out there owned by people who might not be active on the forum now.

updated DIC 17, 2008
posted by Natasha