cortarse el pelo

0

I know "Me corto el pelo" would be "I cut my own hair", and I'm pretty sure "Ella me corta el pelo" would be "She cuts my hair". How can that sentence be formed "I get my hair cut"? Or does one just not say it that way in Spanish'

updated DIC 15, 2008
posted by sarah17

0

gracias, señorita!

Heidita said:

Angelina Peng said:

Lazarus, si quiero decir I got my hair cut yesterday, pues puedo decir me corté el pelo ayer o fui a cortar el pelo ayer, ¿correcto?

HI Ange, yes, you can say that:Me corté el pelo ayer.Ayer fui a cortarme el pelo.

>

updated DIC 15, 2008
posted by Angelina-Peng
0

Angelina Peng said:

HI Ange, yes, you can say that:

Me corté el pelo ayer.
Ayer fui a cortarme el pelo.

updated DIC 15, 2008
0

Lazarus, si quiero decir I got my hair cut yesterday, pues puedo decir me corté el pelo ayer o fui a cortar el pelo ayer, ¿correcto'

updated DIC 15, 2008
posted by Angelina-Peng
0

Thanks.

updated DIC 14, 2008
posted by sarah17
0

There is a way of saying "I get my hair cut" in Spanish, but it results in a rather long sentence compared to the English version, or with "Me corto el pelo", so people resort to this version.

The "se" in "cortarse" has several possible meaning. Now, the majority of people don't normally get a pair of scissors and just cut their hair, but pay for someone else to do it. When people say "Me voy a cortar el pelo", cultural common sense dictates whether the person is really going to cut his hair (not again!) and make a mess, or going to a professional, and get his hair cut. In most cases, it means "I am going to get my hair cut", and you'll hardly ever hear the more rational (but longer) "Voy a que me corten el pelo".

In other cases is much more subtle. If someone says "Voy a pintar la casa", you have to decide whether you think this person really means that he is going to get the brush and do the job, or paying for someone to do it. In others like "Me voy a sacar una muela", you don't expect anyone to extract his own teeth, but going to a dentist instead. A combination of common sense and sheer guessing decides the true meaning of the sentence.

Of course, you can always say "Voy a que me saquen una muela", "Voy a que me corten el pelo", and "Voy a pagar para que me pinten la casa", but very few people talk like that.

updated DIC 14, 2008
posted by lazarus1907