Hi all. I am SO GLAD I found this site!!!!!

3

I had 4 years of Spanish in high scholl (havn't we all). And I thought I knew smothing.

Turns out I know nothing.

We just went on a family vacation over Thanksgiving to the Dominican Republic and I got my linguistic clock cleaned.

My stepdaughter is getting married in Mexico in two years and we'll give it another try then. In the meantime I have GOT to hit the books.

So can someone give me a thumbnail sketch of what the learning process is here? Mostly posting and correcting here on the forumn? or some other ways?

Thanks all for any guidance.

Joe Q

updated NOV 21, 2010
posted by Joe-Q

0

HI Joe, we are glad to have you herewink.

updated NOV 21, 2010
edited by 00494d19
0

Ditto the recommendation to click the "Learn Spanish" tab and start going through the videos.

Also the flashcards are great for building vocabulary.

And for listening, check out the "News in Slow Spanish" podcast (not on this website, it is a separate thing).

Finally, if you have DVDs many of them have a Spanish soundtrack so start watching your favorites in Spanish or in English with Spanish subtitles.

Bienvenidos a SpanishDict!

updated NOV 21, 2010
posted by Lrtward
0

Welcome, Joe. The forum is a good learning experience, but it's pretty random. The place to start is the Learn Spanish tab, as well as all the tools under the More tab.

I'd also recommend reading some online newspapers like El Pais and El Universal. I also listen to Spanish language news podcasts from BBC Mundo and Democracy Now!. Then you can go to RTVE and watch Spanish television to your heart's content.

Then you can come back to the forum and ask any questions you may have.

updated NOV 21, 2010
edited by KevinB
posted by KevinB
0

Verbs are the most difficult part of the Spanish language. There are literally thousands of irregular Spanish verbs. The very best learning tool that I have ever found is a volume called 4,500 Spanish Verbs Fully Conjugated, Complete Handbook of Spanish Verbs, by Judith Noble and Jaime Lacasa, published by Passport books. This catagorizes the irregular verbs into groups, all of which have the same endings.

The second biggest obstacle is correct pronounciation. Fortunately, I had an excellent Honduran Spanish teacher who took me through all that. Even after 16 years here, I still make occasional errors, but at least everyone understands what I am talking about.

Motivation and persistence are the keys to the kingdom. Good luck!

updated NOV 21, 2010
posted by Jesss