HomeQ&A"Comenzar" or "empezar"

"Comenzar" or "empezar"

1

Here I am again: When to use "comenzar" and when to use "empezar"

posted by Daniel

3

Daniel said:

I researched these in my dictionary and 2 on line dictionaries and found both "comenzar" and "empezar" used in the same phrases. I also discussed with my Mexican friend -- she said there is no difference that she knows of.

Of course, most people never analyse their own language. This sentence can only take "empezar":

¿Has empezado ya la leche' (empezar = start to consume something)

Also, with "empezar" you have more freedom in certain constructions:

La herida ha empezado a hincharse.
La herida se ha empezado a hinchar.

but:

La herida ha comenzado a hincharse.
La herida se ha comenzado a hinchar. (WRONG)

updated AGO 26, 2013
posted by lazarus1907
3

What's the difference between start and begin? All languages have synonyms, and these two are no exception. "Empezar" has a few meaning and uses that "comenzar" doesn't, but otherwise they are virtually identical, although there is a slight preference for "comenzar" in formal situations.

updated AGO 26, 2013
posted by lazarus1907
2

Daniel, there's nothing wrong with asking this kind of question here, but I would suggest that you first do a little googling on your own. Search for each word, both in the infinitive and in various conjugations, and you will get many thousands of hits that show how the word is being used by people. You can even limit your searches to domains for a given country, such as Spain or Mexico, so that you can see how words are used by people from those countries.

In the spirit of teaching a man to fish,

posted by 00bacfba
Really James... This is a forum for asking ?s... Daniela's question is totally valid. I searched for the same question he had and ibefore I found the answer I first had to read your comment scolding him. - Gigimama, MAY 15, 2012
I agree with Gigimama. I searched for this question and the first hit was this page. The reason for these forums is to ask such things after all and it can often lead to interesting discussion - an├│malo, JUL 20, 2017
0

Thank you:

updated NOV 21, 2008
posted by Daniel
┬ę Curiosity Media Inc.