Estáte quieto

0

I have a question about this sentence from El León y El Ratoncito.

'Estáte quieto, querido león y yo te dejaré libre. Yo roeré las cuerdas'.

Is that voseo form? In what countries would it sound natural to say that? (The translator of the story is from the Dominican Republic.)

How would you say it in standard Spanish? Callate?

updated NOV 18, 2008
posted by Natasha

0

Thank you Lazarus, that's what I wanted to know.

lazarus1907 said:

"Estate quieto" is a very common expression in Spain. The imperative form for "tú" and "vos" for "estar" is the same. The form for "usted" is "estese quieto".

>

updated NOV 18, 2008
posted by Natasha
0

updated NOV 18, 2008
posted by lazarus1907
0

Lady Di, that sounds great!

Lee, thanks for the info. I knew about Argentina but not Nicaragua.

updated NOV 18, 2008
posted by Natasha
0

This form (el vosear) is also used in Nicaraga and Argentina. In fact, while I lived in Nicaragua, I never once heard anybody use the "Tu" form. Just a little tid-bit for you.

updated NOV 18, 2008
posted by Lee
0

Maybe in standard Spanish you'd say 'no te muevas'.

updated NOV 18, 2008
posted by LadyDi
0

Marco said:

:

Natasha, I was not able to find "estáte" on the dictionary. Is this word not existing?

That's not a problem with the dictionary. It's a conjugated form of estar. My question basically was why it carried the accent (presumably a mistake') and why the pronoun "te" was attached (for emphasis''')

updated NOV 18, 2008
posted by Natasha
0

Natasha said:

Reply button not working.Marco: You are correct as far as the rules for accents go. I just copied it from the story.

I found one problem in the dictionary on this forum. When you seach the meaning of some words with accents, the dictionary may not give you the meaning. Of course, I might not enter the correct words.
This is my suggestion in order to help us improve this learning forum.

Marco

updated NOV 18, 2008
posted by Marco-T
0

Reply button not working.

Marco: You are correct as far as the rules for accents go. I just copied it from the story.

updated NOV 18, 2008
posted by Natasha
0

Hi Natasha,

Was that "estate quieto"? - Keep still

Marco

updated NOV 18, 2008
posted by Marco-T
0

Thanks, Sally!!

updated NOV 18, 2008
posted by Natasha
0

It would be " Esté quieto" meaning be still.
Estáte quieto is used in El Salvador, where the voseo form is used.

updated NOV 18, 2008
posted by Sally