HomeQ&ATu, ti, te

Tu, ti, te

0

I understand tu means you as a subject and your as an adjective and I see how te is used reflexively, but when is ti used instead of te?

Thanks.

Hal

posted by Hal

0

OK, Peter, this is for you.smile
The prepositional pronouns are:
Singular Plural
Yo - mi Nosotros- Nosotros
tú -ti Vosotros-vosotros
Usted - Usted Ustedes-Ustedes
ÿl - ÿl Ellos- Ellos
Ella -Ella Ellas- Ellas

Esta carta es para ti. This letter is for you.
Aquel regalo es de nosotros. That gift is from us.
¿Recibiste la carta de ella? Did you receive the letter from her?
¿Quieres ir con él? No, quiero ir contigo. Do you want to go with him? No, I want to go with you.
¿El helado es para mi? Sí, es para ti. The icecream is for me? Yes, it's for you.

posted by Cherry
0

cherry pls make it clearer for me with some illustrations...i mean examples......................pls

posted by peter5
0

i don't even understand what you mean by reflexively and adjectively but if you could make that more clear i may be able to help you.

posted by peter5
0

The prepsitional pronouns are the same as the subject pronouns with exception of tú which is ti and yo which is mi.
With these last ones, be careful because when they are used with con they become contigo and conmigo.

posted by Cherry
0

Gracias! Puedes tambien explicar "prepositional pronoun"'

posted by Vijay
0

tú is the subject pronoun =Tú hablas bien el español. - You speak Spanish well.

tu is the possessive adjective = Me gusta tu chaqueta. - I like your jacket.

te is the object pronoun. = Te hablo. - I am talking to you.

te is also the reflexive pronoun. = ¿Te lavaste las manos? -Did you wash your hands'

posted by Cherry
0

hi, can you please also explain with examples all the terms you have used above. Thanks

posted by Vijay
0

Yes, you have the right idea now. It sounds strange because we don't say it like that in English, but I find the literal translation of this makes the concept more clear than to say she likes or you like. People tend to get confused and try to change the ending of gustar to match what they think is the subject, but is actually the indirect object. Again, with the exception of the 3rd person, the prepositional phrase is a matter of preference because it only is used for emphasis. The 3rd person is used for clarification if the statement is taken out of context and there might be confusion about the person involved.

posted by Cherry
0

¿a ti te gusta el jazz?

a ver si puedo hacer una tradución literal. that is the only way I can get things sometimes, every little pronoun has to fit into place.

to you, is jazz pleasing to you.

a ti = to you
te gusta = pleasing to you

crossing fingers!

posted by motley
0

If you use "A quién'" you answer "a ti, a mí" ---|- Whom? = "A quién"
If you use "De quién'" you answer "de ti, de mí" ---|- Whose = "De quién"

posted by Jorge
0

Gracias,

Hal

posted by Hal
0

It isn't personal "A" in this case. It is a preposition meaning to. It is just for emphasis as Effie said. You can just say "me gusta" or " te gusta" without the prepositional phrase.

¿Te gusta esquiar? ¿A ti, te gusta esquiar? Do you like to ski? or literally, Is skiing pleasing to you?
Remember with Spanish unlike English, when using indirect object pronouns (in this case te) the prepositional phrase can still be included for enphasis or clarification.
A Mario, le gusta jugar tenis. or A él, le gusta jugar tenis Playing tennis is pleasing to Mario (him).
Le di un ramo de flores a mi mamá. I gave a bouquet of flowers to my mom.

posted by Cherry
0

a mi, me gusta etc

creo que se utiliza para dar emfasis.

posted by effie
0

¿a ti te gusta el jazz? - do you like jazz?

¡¡Me hace loca!!!

¿¿¿¿a ti te'''?

ok, te gusta is do you like

pero

¿¿por que'?
ti

I think the a is the personal a

posted by motley
0

Ti is the prepositional pronoun. It only follows prepositions, but be careful, because when used with con it becomes contigo - with you.
tú is the subject pronoun
tu is the possessive adjective
te is the object pronoun. It can be used for direct an indirect object pronouns as well as the reflexive pronoun.

posted by Cherry