no se le miran

0

I need help understanding se le in this sentence.

Un caballo regalado no se le miran en los dientes.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth (teeth)

updated AGO 20, 2008
posted by motley

0

The "se" in this case marks the impersonal use of the verb "mirar" It's equivalent to the use of "one" as in "one dose ... " or "one doesn't ..." So, "One doesn't/shouldn't look a gift horse ..." Similarly, "no se sabe" = "one doesn't know" (in other words, it is unknown if...).
The "le" is a pronoun referring to the horse.

updated AGO 20, 2008
posted by samdie
0

Perhaps the reflexive used like the passive in English? So, "A gift horse is not looked in the teeth." Which is pretty much the same as the English expression.

posted by Dan
0

it should be..
"a caballo regalado no se le ven los dientes"

se refiere a que si te regalan un caballo (o cualquier otra cosa) no ves la calidad del objeto, sino solamente agradeces el gesto.

Saludos !

posted by Alba
0

probably the se refers to "one" and the le refers to the horse.

0

The word is caballo I know the translation. I'm just trying to figure out the se le, I don't think it's reflexive, I don't know why there is an indirect object pronoun, if that it what it is. What does the se go with, what does the le go with.'

posted by motley
0

There's no an acurate translation to the part "se le" because english language don't use that words e.g. "Se le cae el cabello" = "her/his/its hair falls", i hope I helped.

posted by Jorge
0

It's a saying, meaning when someone gives you something, appreciate it & don't be critical.
When someone buys a horse, they check the teeth to see how old it is.

posted by motley
0

a horse that was given, can't see on the teeth.
no idea what that means, Can you give us more info on where or how you heard this''

posted by Christie