What does "manly" in the sentence mean?

0

I have found the sentence from the British National Corpusraspberryerhaps Christianity has been to blame for not providing manly worship and interests and fellowship. I'm not sure what the word "manly" means. Is there anybody who can help me'

updated SEP 10, 2008
posted by Luis-Lu

0

Thank you. I have found a proper word which means the same as manly. That is "strong". Here it's the figurative use of manly, not its literal use.

updated SEP 10, 2008
posted by Luis-Lu
0

Difster said:

I think it's referring to the feminization of the church which is often discussed in Christian circles. Much of Western Christian culture (as opposed to what the Bible actually says) has come to expect men to basically be wimps rather than the "manly men" of old. There is an excellent book called Wild At Heart that addresses this topic pretty clearly.Much of the church expects men to be soft and sensitive and caring and nurturing and essentially feminine in quality and equate that to being spiritual. ...I'll put on the breaks right here. This has been a pet peeve of mine for years and isn't quite appropriate for this forum."Manly was the intended use there. I hope my explanation helped.

>

updated SEP 10, 2008
posted by Luis-Lu
0

I agree with Natasha. Manly makes sense here, and mainly does not. I wonder if we could use the word varonil here.

I'll put on the breaks right here

I think you meant to say brakes. Those are the breaks!

updated SEP 9, 2008
posted by 00bacfba
0

From dictionary.com:

1. having qualities traditionally ascribed to men, as strength or bravery.
  2. pertaining to or suitable for males: manly sports.

I looked up "manly" in the dictionary on this site, but none of the suggestions seem to quite fit the context because in English, "manly" has a very positive connotation. Can anyone suggest a good translation into Spanish'

updated SEP 9, 2008
posted by Natasha
0

meliposa said:

why should it be mainly? It makes sense.

Heidita said:

I think this is a spelling issue: it shoudl be "mainly"

If it makes sense as you say, why are you questioning "why should it be mainly"

updated SEP 9, 2008
0

I think it's referring to the feminization of the church which is often discussed in Christian circles. Much of Western Christian culture (as opposed to what the Bible actually says) has come to expect men to basically be wimps rather than the "manly men" of old. There is an excellent book called Wild At Heart that addresses this topic pretty clearly.

Much of the church expects men to be soft and sensitive and caring and nurturing and essentially feminine in quality and equate that to being spiritual. ...I'll put on the breaks right here. This has been a pet peeve of mine for years and isn't quite appropriate for this forum.

"Manly was the intended use there. I hope my explanation helped.

updated SEP 9, 2008
posted by Difster
0

Heidita said:

>

updated SEP 9, 2008
posted by meliposa
0

it means to provide or present: manly worship-rendir culto ala adoracion.

updated SEP 9, 2008
posted by meliposa