HomeQ&AI am a little bit confused about the usage of " conseguir", below are the samples.

I am a little bit confused about the usage of " conseguir", below are the samples.

0
votes

one sample is " si quieres comprender una oracion o un frase, no se puede traducir palabra por palabra, tienes que conseguir la siganificado entera.", in this setence, it means " to get the meaning of the setence.

another samples is " conseguieron llevarse muchas cosas de valor los ladrones'" this setence I copied from one articule, it means " the thief stole many valuble things', it's a bit hard for me to understand the usage of conseguir here, appreciate a lot if somebody can take a typical exsample to me for the usage of this word, thanks

10538 views
updated SEP 9, 2008
posted by Angelina-Peng

14 Answers

0
votes

say that again, please

Angela said:

ogracias, " vas a conseguir que Papa se enfade." , esta oraction puedo decir asi " vas a consegir/hacer Papa enfade/enfadado"? estas bien'tambien la significado " manage to ", puedo hablar asi " aun la problema estuvo muy complicado en aquella situacion , pero el conseguio' resolverlo rapidamente." esta bien?

Eddy said:

Angela, it might help to understand that conseguir has many different meanings in English.To achieveTo obtainTo winTo reachTo getEven, to make, as in this sentence "vas a conseguir que papá se enfade" ' you´ll make daddy cross, or you´ll achieve in making daddy cross. You are not taking the advice which was given in your first two sentences and you´r fixating on the verb conseguir to give one meaning. As an example in English, just look up the verb "get". There are dozens of uses and you just have to learn them all.

>

updated SEP 9, 2008
posted by 00769608
0
votes

i dont know but i been told that "consequir " does not fit here shoudl of used entender
tienes que entender el significado etc......etc....

consequir means to find, to get . well maybe in second thought is okey
consiquieron llevarse muchas cosas los ladrones?
means where the crooks able to take many things?
or did the crooks took many things'

updated SEP 9, 2008
posted by 00769608
0
votes

Angela said:

ogracias, " vas a conseguir que Papa se enfade." , esta oraction puedo decir asi " vas a consegir/hacer Papa enfade/enfadado"? estas bien? tambien la significado " manage to ", puedo hablar asi " aun la problema estuvo muy complicado en aquella situacion , pero el conseguio' resolverlo rapidamente." esta bien?

Eddy said:

Angela, it might help to understand that conseguir has many different meanings in English.To achieveTo obtainTo winTo reachTo getEven, to make, as in this sentence "vas a conseguir que papá se enfade" ' you´ll make daddy cross, or you´ll achieve in making daddy cross. You are not taking the advice which was given in your first two sentences and you´r fixating on the verb conseguir to give one meaning. As an example in English, just look up the verb "get". There are dozens of uses and you just have to learn them all.


I doubt that "vas a consegir/hacer Papa enfade/enfadado" is correct. I think that the alternative provided by Eddy is/was correct.
The second sentence "aun la problema estuvo muy complicado en aquella situacion , pero el conseguio' resolverlo rapidamente." looks good to me, except that it's "el problema fue muy complicado en aquella situación"

updated SEP 9, 2008
posted by samdie
0
votes

ogracias, " vas a conseguir que Papa se enfade." , esta oraction puedo decir asi " vas a consegir/hacer Papa enfade/enfadado"? estas bien?
tambien la significado " manage to ", puedo hablar asi " aun la problema estuvo muy complicado en aquella situacion , pero el conseguio' resolverlo rapidamente." esta bien?

Eddy said:

Angela, it might help to understand that conseguir has many different meanings in English.To achieveTo obtainTo winTo reachTo getEven, to make, as in this sentence "vas a conseguir que papá se enfade" ' you´ll make daddy cross, or you´ll achieve in making daddy cross. You are not taking the advice which was given in your first two sentences and you´r fixating on the verb conseguir to give one meaning. As an example in English, just look up the verb "get". There are dozens of uses and you just have to learn them all.

>

updated SEP 9, 2008
posted by Angelina-Peng
0
votes

Angela, it might help to understand that conseguir has many different meanings in English.
To achieve
To obtain
To win
To reach
To get
Even, to make, as in this sentence "vas a conseguir que papá se enfade" ' you´ll make daddy cross, or you´ll achieve in making daddy cross. You are not taking the advice which was given in your first two sentences and you´r fixating on the verb conseguir to give one meaning. As an example in English, just look up the verb "get". There are dozens of uses and you just have to learn them all.

updated SEP 9, 2008
posted by Eddy
0
votes

It does have a question mark at the end of the sentence,therefore,it is a question.

updated SEP 9, 2008
posted by TimEivissa
0
votes

I don't think it's a question.

Jesus Manuel Perez said:

It translates as "Were the thieves able to take many valuable things?

>

updated SEP 9, 2008
posted by meliposa
0
votes

It translates as "Were the thieves able to take many valuable things'

updated SEP 9, 2008
posted by Jesus-Manuel-Perez
0
votes

The thieves managed to take many valuable items. in this case, it means to get, to obtain, to achieve.

conseguieron hacer algo--managed to do something.

updated SEP 9, 2008
posted by meliposa
0
votes

sorry. no bad feelings here.

samdie said:

Casimiro/ Kashmir said:

soi think that managed and able to are about the same thing. My english isnt the best but i think its the same thing.

samdie said:

A closer translation (of the 2nd sentence) would be "the thieves managed to steal" or "the thieves succeeded in stealing". Try double-clicking on "conseguir"; the examples in the dictionary should be helpful.

Agreed; pretty much the same thing. If you'll look at the times of our replies you'll see that we were writing replies at the same time and, so, neither of us had the benefit of seeing the other's response before answering.

>

updated SEP 8, 2008
posted by Gaarasama
0
votes

Casimiro/ Kashmir said:

soi think that managed and able to are about the same thing. My english isnt the best but i think its the same thing.

samdie said:

A closer translation (of the 2nd sentence) would be "the thieves managed to steal" or "the thieves succeeded in stealing". Try double-clicking on "conseguir"; the examples in the dictionary should be helpful.


Agreed; pretty much the same thing. If you'll look at the times of our replies you'll see that we were writing replies at the same time and, so, neither of us had the benefit of seeing the other's response before answering.

updated SEP 8, 2008
posted by samdie
0
votes

soi think that managed and able to are about the same thing. My english isnt the best but i think its the same thing.

samdie said:

A closer translation (of the 2nd sentence) would be "the thieves managed to steal" or "the thieves succeeded in stealing". Try double-clicking on "conseguir"; the examples in the dictionary should be helpful.

>

updated SEP 8, 2008
posted by Gaarasama
0
votes

A closer translation (of the 2nd sentence) would be "the thieves managed to steal" or "the thieves succeeded in stealing". Try double-clicking on "conseguir"; the examples in the dictionary should be helpful.

updated SEP 8, 2008
posted by samdie
0
votes

you shouldnt try to translate word for word.. you should try to understand what the sentence is trying to say.

conseguieron llevarse = they were able to carry or make off with (since they are talking about theives)

updated SEP 8, 2008
posted by Gaarasama
SpanishDict is the world's most popular Spanish-English dictionary, translation, and learning website.
© Curiosity Media Inc.