translation please : losanges

0

Estoy leyendo un papel para mi clase, y no sé que significa la palabra . No estaba en el diccionario :(

La frase es "El hombre la condujo a una puerta y después a un turbio zaguán y después a una escalera tortuosa y después a un vestíbulo (en el que había una vidriera con losanges idénticos a los de la casa en Lanús)......

updated AGO 25, 2008
posted by amy3

0

thank you! I am reading part of Emma Zunz and they use that word there a lot

updated AGO 25, 2008
posted by amy3
0

lazarus1907 said:

"Losange" is a rhombus shaped figure that stands vertically, i.e. not like a trapezium. In grass windows it refers to the coloured pattern with rhombuses. Now my question: Does not dictionary not include this word? And if the asnwer is 'no', what dictionary do you use?

The one on this site doesn't (but when I rechecked, I noticed that it does have "losanje" [with the same meaning]). I have no Idea, of course, what dictionary Amy used.

P.S. My (English) dictionary also gives "rhombus" by way of a definition but I fear that modern speakers of English (unless they were/are especially fond of maths) wouldn't know that word.

updated AGO 25, 2008
posted by samdie
0

"Losange" is a rhombus shaped figure that stands vertically, i.e. not like a trapezium. In grass windows it refers to the coloured pattern with rhombuses.

Now my question: Does not dictionary not include this word? And if the asnwer is 'no', what dictionary do you use'

updated AGO 24, 2008
posted by lazarus1907
0

I believe it's "lozenges". The (loosely speaking) diamond shaped chunks of glass (plain or crystal) that make up the bulk of many chandeliers. Lozenge refers to the shape (doesn't have to be glass).

updated AGO 24, 2008
posted by samdie
0

Please read the forum rules before start a discussion, it could be deleted.

[url=http://my.spanishdict.com/forum/topic/show'id=1710195%3ATopic%3A106997]http://my.spanishdict.com/forum/topic/show'id=1710195%3ATopic%3A106997[/url]
Or go to forum rules at the top of page and feel free to post it again after that.

updated AGO 24, 2008
posted by Vernic