Difference Between Ser and Estar & Saber and Conocer''?

1

Could someone please give me a simple description on the difference between Ser and Estar. Then, I would like to know the difference between Saber and Conocer. Thanks for any help -

updated DIC 27, 2011
posted by Marco

2

Span¡shD!ct offers free courses. One of the lessons is about ser and estar. Here is the link

updated MAR 28, 2011
posted by Rex_W
1

ser - state of being - soy Americano, de donde sos vos, no soy inteligente, aqui es la fiesta (the party is happening here)
estar - location, temporary state - la fiesta esta aqui (that is it's located here), El esta enojado, also estar is used with the present progressive, el esta corriendo.

saber - to know facts or to know how to - No se si sea la verdad (or that might be no se si es la verdad, I don't know), el no sabe nadar. In the preterite it means to find out or discover- lo supe ( I found out or discovered it)

conocer - to know in the sense of being aquainted with or to know someone, or to meet them in the preterite. conoczo a juan, la conoci ayer (I met her yesterday), la conocia (I knew here)

I think the ser and estar thing is more complicated and subtle, but this level of understanding works for me at my level of speaking, which isn't that great.

updated DIC 27, 2011
posted by Bob-Dressler2
Just a clarification. Conocer is to know people OR places. Conoces esta playa?
1

ok- ser is to be something all of the time, constantly. estar is when something is the way it is right that second. saber is to know facts, and conocer is to know people, like after you meet someone you know them.
hope that helps (its pretty easy spanish, its weird you couldn't find it)

updated MAR 28, 2011
posted by sam8
1

I used to have the same questions about "ser" and "estar". I never knew when to use either or. My current Spanish teacher explained it this way to me and it help me a great deal. Use "ser" when talking about a person's characteristics, origin, and profession. It is used to describe things that can not change(ie: your height, where you are from). Use "estar" to describe things that can change(ie: your health, your mood, and when talking about a location). I hope this helps.

updated MAR 28, 2011
posted by monique_granado
1

Hola Marco
Saber is used to know something and Conocer is used to know someone, Ser and Estar someone else will have to explain as i'm not that advanced yet,

Hope this helps a little!

updated MAR 28, 2011
posted by HUEY
1

Hola Bob,

en cuanto a "No se si sea la verdad" (or that might be no se si es la verdad, I don't know),

con "si" utilizamos presente de indicativo "no se si es la verdar" o imperfecto de subjuntivo " si fuera la verdad"

updated MAR 28, 2011
posted by effie
1

Thank you Huey, Bob, Cherry, and Rob. I understand this a lot more now!!!! I am trying to learn spanish again and I could not remember the rules on these words! Thanks again for all your help!! --

updated MAR 28, 2011
posted by Marco
0

thanks everyone this helped me also

updated DIC 27, 2011
posted by xoxCheesexox
0

My old spanish teacher told me that they both mean" to be" but she taught me this,

"If you want to know how you feel or where you are don't forget to use estar!"

and "ser" for everything else meaning " to be" of course.

updated MAR 28, 2011
posted by 123Bubble
0

ser and estar are both verbs meaning "to be"

• -however ser is used with personality traits, where you are from, and the time

• -EX: Soy interesante y morena. (I am brown-haired and interesting) Ella es de Florida. (She is from florida) Es la una y media. (it is one thirty)

• estar is used with your location and your feelings
  • -EX: Estoy en la clase de ciencias. (I am in science class) Ella esta cansada. (She is tired)

my spanish 2 teacher taught me a neat trick- just remember STOP THE ELF-

• S = ser T= time O = origin P= personality/ physical

(the)

• E= estar L= location F = feelings

conocer and saber both mean "to know"

• -concer means to know people ( Por ejemplo, Conozco Brad Pitt) :D
  • -saber means to know information (Por ejemplo, se tu problema)
updated OCT 29, 2009
edited by thelostgirl1313
posted by thelostgirl1313
0

Bob Dressler said:

ser - state of being - soy Americano, de donde sos vos, no soy inteligente, aqui es la fiesta (the party is happening here) estar - location, temporary state - la fiesta esta aqui (that is it's located here), El esta enojado, also estar is used with the present progressive, el esta corriendo.

No, it is not about temporary or permanent! Please check other threads about these verbs.

updated AGO 17, 2008
posted by lazarus1907