HomeQ&AHelp with Spanish

Help with Spanish

0

Hello everyone,
Looking forward to meeting new people to help me speak spanish correctly. I am a new student using Rossetta Stone Latin American Spanish level 1,2 and 3. I am using several other free sites on the web, The problem is this program uses no translation to english.
Looking for help with verbs. Right now I am a beginner and having trouble with tiene and tengo.
I will be so proud when I can say I am bi-lingual

posted by Elizabeth

0

Hola Elizabeth!
I too am a beginner using Rosetta Stone, but did take some formal classes in Spanish.
Tiene means he,she,it has. Tengo means I have.
Hope that helps.
Claudia

posted by claudia5
0

Cristina,
Those things can't be ignored.. You feel comfortable using it because you are a native speaker, and don't need to think about it. When using a second language, especially in the early stages, one needs to find the things that are different about the languages. For example: have. It is an action verb and a helping or auxiliary verb. But when they translate into Spanish, the action verb is tener and the helping verb is haber, not tener. If this is not learned, the person will always make the same mistakes and wonder why they are not able to be understood or alwalys get their work wrong in class.
Your method would be great for people that are immersed in Spanish and can learn it like a child learns their language for the first time, but as for people learning in a classroom setting, or trying to learn it themselves through online programs, learning the rules are very important.

posted by Cherry
0

Click on Lessons in the in the header. lots of good stuff.

posted by motley
0

Hi where do I find them? I am new to this site. Thanks

posted by Elizabeth
0

thank you so much

posted by Elizabeth
0

I really like it and it was a birthday gift. I really like it,

posted by Elizabeth
0

Tener - To have

I ...................................Tengo.................I have
You (Singular) ..........Tienes................You have
He/She/It ...................Tiene..................He/She/It has
We ..............................Tenemos..........We have
You (plural)................Tenéis...............You have
They ...........................Tienen................They have

Hope that helps smile

posted by el-relámpago
0

Hola Elizabeth,
I was told Rossetta Stone does not worth the price. (I guess it depends on how many millions you have in the bank.) I would like to have your (a first hand) opinion.

posted by Zoltán
0

Hi Elizabeth,

You will need to do a lot of hard work & studying in order to become bi-lingual, but stick with it smile

posted by elguapo
0

I didn't mean tener translated to "to have" but that is is an auxillary verb.
I have to keep the book "500 Spanish Verbs" on hand for reference.
I have taken classes on and off through the years. I know a lot of vocabulary but just can't make that leap to understanding the spoken or speak in Spanish.

posted by John-Carlos
0

The auxiliary verb tor to have is haber instead of tener.
Example:
I have studied. Yo he estudiado.
He has read the book. ÿl ha leido.el libro.

posted by Cherry
0

Hi Elizabeth,
There are several videos in the collection about tener. One is about the conjugation and the others are about the idiomatic expressions using tener. Check those out. They should help you a lot.
Cherry

posted by Cherry
0

Hi John,
Thank you for your help. That is what I thought but I just wanted to be sure. How long have you been studying?
Elizabeth

posted by Elizabeth
0

Elizabeth,
I am still learning but I will try to help you with tengo and tiene. They are both forms of the verb, tener, to have or to hold. Tengo is first person singular Present Tense, "I have". Tiene is third person Present, "he, she or you (formal) have".
Tener is also an auxilliary verb (like "have" in English). Tener prisa is "to be in a hurry." Tener frio is "to feel cold". Tengo frio is "I feel cold".
Hope that helps.

posted by John-Carlos