quick question from the newbie: Reunir?

0

Hola todos!

I am new to the site, I have been picking up bits and pieces of spanish informally for years but I am hoping to get more serious about actually becoming fluent.

I found my way here trying to find the word for "business meeting"? The person I am writing to is from Argentina, if that helps. She is an international leader in our company, and she took the time to fly up here to meet with us and address some fo the issues that our division has been having. I wanted to write her a quick thank you.

My written spanish is very rusty, so any "advice" appreciated - I can take it wink

Yo quiero escribir una nota para decir gracias a una persona de mi compania. Ella trabaja an america del sur, pero nos visitio la semana pasada para hablar de las cosas las que necesitan mejorar.

Escribio:

Gracias por la oportunidad de reunir con usted. Aprecio su tiempo, su paciencia, y su confianza, y miro adelante a trabajar con usted otra vez. Yo se que muchas cosas en este division son nuevos, pero siento mejor sabiendo que nosotros estamos trabajando por la misma cosa.

Si puedo ser de alguna ayuda adicional, por favor llameme cuando quiera.

Hay algo que puedo hacer para mejorar este nota? Por favor, no me permite a mandar algo que ella no pueda leer!

Muchas gracias!

posted by Yeclek

0

To tell you the truth I really don´t know the exact definition of spanglish, if there is one. I know that languages often borrow words from each other as in french I think they say "le software". And, in English we have a ton of borrowed words, no? Maybe "checkear" is ok, but "revisar" or "examinar" sounds better to me, which does´t mean it is better judging from my level of Spanish ability. I´ll ask on of my friends that´s a native speaker.

I´m in Costa Rica now and loving it!

posted by Bob-Dressler2
0

Probably you are right...I guess I just think of something as Spanglish when it becomes common usage, rather than like this case where someone just provided a translation, but it isn't really something that people go around saying (at least I haven't heard anyone going around saying it). My worst spanglish example was recently when I learned after over 20 years of speaking spanish that "chequear" is spanglish...I'd learned it in Ecuador, where at least at the time I lived there, spanglish wasn't very common...and I always thought it was a word.

posted by Carol
0

I thought that taking an english phrase and plugging in spanish words is a type of "spanglish" as well as the obvious examples like "no cabe ninguna chansa" or "checkele" or using the word "parada" for parade instead of "desfile". Sometimes I'm surprised that the spanish phrase is the same as the english as in "tomar su tiempo" which is exactly like english.

posted by Bob-Dressler2
0

Gracias por la oportunidad de reunirME con usted. Aprecio su tiempo, su paciencia, y su confianza, y ESPERO TRABAJAR con usted otra vez. Sÿ que MUCHO EN ESTE DEPARTAMIENTO ES NUEVO, pero ME siento mejor AL SABER que nosotros estamos trabajando PARA la misma cosa.

Si puedo ser de alguna ayuda EN ALGO MÁS, por favor llÁmeme cuando quiera.

I have made some corrections in caps.

0

"miro adelante" is definitely not correct. I wouldn't say it is spanglish, it is just an exact translation of the english (Look forward), but as I'm sure you know, you can't always do that. Think about what '"look forward" really means in English...the use in this context is an expression/idiom. If you say "miro adelante" it is correct but it means literally to "look ahead of yourself". Which is of course, NOT what you want to say, is it? So, your amiga isn't speaking bad spanish, she just probably doesn't really know how to say what you want to say, because it's not really an expression that is used in Spanish. "Espero trabajar de nuevo con Ud" would be correct...but there may be a more emphatic way to say it...which I just can't think of right now.

posted by Carol
0

gracias!

la persona que me ensenio decir "miro adelante" era puertorriquena . ..quizas es algo que solamente decir alla, donde hay muchas palabras y espresiones(') que son una mezcla de los dos idiomas?

o quizas ella no pueda hablar bien, jajaja'

posted by Yeclek
0

a mí, no me parece miro adelante es corriente. probable "tengo muchas ganas de" .... o "estoy deseando hacer algo".

0

You're right - thanks. Is "miro adelante" spanglish? ie. , english syntax with spanish words'

posted by Bob-Dressler2
0

esta división es nueva, porque división es singular

0

Gracias!

you are absolutely right about nuevos / nuevas. That was just careless. wink

posted by Yeclek
0

A native speaker could help you much more that I can, however:

miro adelante - doesn't sound right, it sounds like spanglish. How about - espero trabajar con Ud otra vez.
esta division son nuevas - division is feminine I believe.

posted by Bob-Dressler2