HomeQ&A'inocentada' y 'consistorio'

'inocentada' y 'consistorio'

0

these two words were in an article I was reading, none of the translation sites I checked knew of them. One phrase in the article was "inocentada del consistorio", it has something to do with a practical joke or something to that affect I believe. Any help would be appreciated!

updated DIC 31, 2007
posted by James-Ravazzolo

0

thanks to the people who responded, your info is appreciated. I'll try the more complete
(recommended) dictionaries in the future

updated DIC 31, 2007
posted by James-Ravazzolo
0

On Dec 28th the Spanish Catholic Church celebrates "the Innocents" (el Día de los Santos Inocentes), that is to say, we commemorate the innocent babies who were killed by order of King Herod, who thus hoped to kill the future King of Israel. Every 28th of Dec, it is a tradition in Spain to play practical jokes ("inocentadas") on friends and relatives. The equivalent Anglo-Saxon tradition would be the 1st of April, which is celebrated as the April Fools Day. When a "victim" or "fool" falls for the joke, everybody calls them "¡Inocente, inocente!".

It is also a tradition for TV stations and newspapers to publish false news. In the article you read, it was a City Council that played a practical joke, possibly on its own citizens. The usual word for "City Council" is "Ayuntamiento", but a synonym is "Consistorio", especially in small towns and villages.

Search google for inocentada(s)!

updated DIC 29, 2007
posted by Cayetano-A-Arags
0

inocentada = practical joke
consistorio = consistory
I use this site.

updated DIC 28, 2007
posted by manutd