What do the words "Al se le queda" mean on a sword?

0

My husband bought a sword at an auction. We believe it's Mexican, and it has an inscription on it. However, we don't know what it says. Help! The wording is "Al tiempo se le queda"

updated DIC 31, 2007
posted by Ruth-Townsend

0

Ocotlan is a city in the state of Oaxaca in Mexico

look here

http://www.tomzap.com/ocotlan.html

updated DIC 31, 2007
posted by motley
0

I think the inscription is "Lo que al tiempo se la deja", which means "What time it has left" (I think).
Ocotlán is a city in Mexico.
Oazaca could be one of two things. Either its the Mexican city Oaxaca, or it is the last name of the swordsmith.

updated DIC 31, 2007
posted by manutd
0

Thanks so much for taking time to reply. At least I have a clue now. After posting, I discovered the other side of the blade has a slightly different inscription (which I can't understand either!). It says, "To que al tiempo se la deja" in one place. In another, it says, "Ocotlan Oazaca" It's kind of hard to read some of letters, so I may have misread one or two. Any ideas on what these inscriptions say'

updated DIC 31, 2007
posted by Ruth-Townsend
0

Not being an expert either, I would think it translates to "To time (history) it is left."

updated DIC 31, 2007
posted by miguel-suarez2
0

I think (not an expert) that it means:
To the time that (it) is (has) left.

updated DIC 31, 2007
posted by manutd