HomeQ&Ael descuento, la rebaja

el descuento, la rebaja

3

Hello, i would like to ask you what the difference between el descuento and la rebaja. According to my source (translated into my native language) both mean the same. Can you tell me more about these and also how to use them properly, please?

updated Jul 4, 2017
posted by Daniel5841
What is your native language? I think that would help if members knew that when answering your questions. - rac1, Jul 3, 2017

4

In English, the differences would be:

"Descuento" ---discount.

"Rabaja"----- Sale.

A "discount" may be given to a select group or groups. For example, many stores will give a discount to "senior citizens" or members of the military, or to others who may possess a "member's discount card."

A "sale" is open to everybody, and is used to entice new customers to buy something.

updated Jul 4, 2017
edited by Daniela2041
posted by Daniela2041
Great explanation, Dani... you have my vote ;) - FELIZ77, Jul 3, 2017
me too! - Echoline, Jul 3, 2017
thank you sweetheart your explanation was super awesome - Daniel5841, Jul 4, 2017
You are all welcome. - Daniela2041, Jul 4, 2017
6

In many cases they are the same, but el descuento is only used in pricing while la rebaja (la acción de rebajar algo) can mean the reduction of anything (disminuir / reducir).

Big stores having sales usually say rebaja.

A singular case of a service or product being offered to someone as a discount is normally called descuento.

updated Jul 3, 2017
edited by JulianChivi
posted by JulianChivi
4

Julian has given you a perfect answer. I remember many years ago, we had a lesson about the sales - las rebajas

Here is a link if you are interested. The material is provided by the Spanish Embassy - here in the UK. However, Spanish embassies world wide provide similar material. I do not know your mother tongue, but it may be worth checking.

TECLA

The benefit if you are teaching yourself is that it includes the answers

I use word reference to check definitions etc - it too has a number of languages.

updated Jul 3, 2017
posted by Mardle
2

It's esencially the same because it's money you don't pay or a discount or percentage off. Anyway if you go to a bank you have a "descuento". This is usually for everybody (generalized) and it could be included in some new regulations or a special offer (for everybody)
.

Rebaja is the same amount of money but it gives you more the idea that you have bargained for it. You will not get a " rebaja" in a bank or some important company. You get it in a small store, at a street market. The word "rebaja" isn't usually used in shopping malls or big surfaces.

If I wanted to have an artist paint a portrait I wouldn't say: - ¿Qué rebaja me haría usted?

I would say: - ¿Sería posible tener un descuento?

In my country we used to call "sales" "liquidación" . It seems that in other countries they call it "rebajas" but every time more we have the English word "sale" or" x % off" shown on shopwindows. If my grandmother could get out of her grave, she wouldn't understand a word.

updated Jul 4, 2017
edited by polenta1
posted by polenta1
esencially - essentially: big surfaces - not sure what you mean: but every time more - but increasingly - Mardle, Jul 4, 2017
I would write the last sentence 'if my grandmother came back from the dead .. but there is nothing wrong with your sentence and it may be culturally in my country many people are cremated not buried - Mardle, Jul 4, 2017
2

Synonyms.

updated Jul 3, 2017
posted by Gekkosan
estoy contigo - 006595c6, Jul 3, 2017
1

The word "rebaja" isn't usually used in shopping malls or big surfaces.

This might apply to other countries, but not to Spain.

Rebajas is precisely what big surfaces and small shops have in common: sales.

you can see both words together :

enter image description here

updated Jul 3, 2017
posted by 006595c6
1

I agree with both Julian and Daniela regarding descuentos and rebajas. Descuentos usually show the retail price and the discount is given at the point of sale. For example, a $1,00 item with a 10% descuento mean you pay $,90 at the cash register. if the same item were rebajado (on sale), it would show a price of $,90. Coupons are a descuento, not a rebaja.

There is one other thing: the rebate (English). This is called a rembolso. You buy the item for $1,00 and then apply for the $,10 rebate. That brings up the matter of an instant rebate, where the retail price is discounted at the cash register. This, also, is a descuento.

updated Jul 3, 2017
posted by DonBigoteDeLaLancha